Need help with the starter--1987 Pontiac 6000

How difficult is it to install a rebuilt starter?
I'm not experienced repairing cars but I'm good at figuring things out, and I'm ok with mechanical things. (I replaced the alternator on this
car.)
If anyone can tell me the level of difficulty here--and any instructions or tips you might having (including internet resources) I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks a lot, Eric
Most starters on those cars weren't too difficult to install. What engine do you have (i.e. a V6 or 4 cyl)? The really relly important thing to remember when changing a starter or alternator is to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Mar 25, 2006, 12:54pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com How difficult is it to install a rebuilt starter? I'm not experienced repairing cars but I'm good at figuring things out, and I'm ok with mechanical things. (I replaced the alternator on this car.) If anyone can tell me the level of difficulty here--and any instructions or tips you might having (including internet resources) I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot, Eric
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "So why do I drive a big SUV? It's because I have to haul numerous people and things to places." ~ R. Lee Baxton ~
Thanks for writing, Rich.
This is a 4 cyl. I only paid $400 for the car and I don't want to spend a lot--b/c I can't afford it!--to fix the starter. Am I ok buying one from a used parts place--i.e., a start from a junked car?
Thanks for any other thoughts you might have.
Eric
The Pontiac 6000 and the Chevy Celebrity are very similar because the are both A-bodies. The starter on the 4-cyl is on the front of the engine (the side that faces the radiator) and is very easy to access from underneath.
First, disconnect the battery. Then you need to look at the starter and make a note of the position of the wires on the solenoid. Disconnect the wires from the solenoid. Remove both mounting bolts, making note of any shims that may have been used to mount the starter. Reverse the order to install, making certain that the last thing you do is re-connect the battery. If, when you begin to re-connect the battery, you get a big spark, stop re-connecting the battery and check the wires to make sure that you don't have a short at the starter. Good luck
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Mar 25, 2006, 3:59pm From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (RichB) Most starters on those cars weren't too difficult to install. What engine do you have (i.e. a V6 or 4 cyl)? The really relly important thing to remember when changing a starter or alternator is to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Mar 25, 2006, 12:54pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com How difficult is it to install a rebuilt starter? I'm not experienced repairing cars but I'm good at figuring things out, and I'm ok with mechanical things. (I replaced the alternator on this car.) If anyone can tell me the level of difficulty here--and any instructions or tips you might having (including internet resources) I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot, Eric
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "So why do I drive a big SUV? It's because I have to haul numerous people and things to places." ~ R. Lee Baxton ~
Sorry Eric, I forgot the question. Yes, you can find good used starters at the salvage yard and the will be cheaper than a new or reman. starter. The big risk with a used starter is that you may (and I say MAY, not will) have to go through a few before you get a good one. We have one salvage yard here that removes things like starters and bench-checks them before selling them but not many places do that.
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Mar 25, 2006, 1:30pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Thanks for writing, Rich. This is a 4 cyl. I only paid $400 for the car and I don't want to spend a lot--b/c I can't afford it!--to fix the starter. Am I ok buying one from a used parts place--i.e., a start from a junked car? Thanks for any other thoughts you might have. Eric