Need some info

2K eldo at 50Kmiles is now going through a quart or a little more of engine oil every 1500 miles. Dealer says that is acceptable. I'm not buying it I think something is up . Anybody have any info or thoughts? Car has about 10K to go before it is out of extended warranty.

tia

Roy

Reply to
Roy

They gave my mother the same runaround on her Monte Carlo. They finally caved and did a head job on the car. All is well now. Interestingly enough, when I asked for official documentation from GM saying it was acceptable (which we all know is hogwash), they showed me Caddy paperwork.

Reply to
Yadayada

According to the GM bulletins, that is not acceptable. But frankly, it's fairly normal on these engines. If you push them, there is a "ring cleaning" procedure that we do for this problem, but so far, it doesn't seem to do much. In later years, we eventually end up doing a ring job on the vehicle with a different design

2nd ring. This seems to work.

Try a couple of things. Stick it in second gear and then accelerate from about 30 mph up to 70mph (or as high as you can go in

2nd gear0, then release the throttle and let it slow back down to
  1. Do this a few times. Next, check your oil level only when the engine is hot and has drained down for about 5 minutes. At this point, adjust the oil level so that it is at the halfway point in the crosshatch (believe me, Northstar's have a lot of oil in them, running 1/2 quart down means nothing to them). Do these two things and see how your oil consumption is.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Do you have any of the GM Bulletins or the date, number and title of the bulletins?

Roy

Reply to
Roy