Need to change signal switch . Any tips ?

Need to change one on a 1991 Buick Regal . Any tips or tricks on the procedure would be very helpful.

JRL wrote:

Why do you think the stalk switch is bad?
(The whole stalk has to be changed.)
---Bob Gross---
The left signal must be held just right to work and the right must be held up manually to work . The left brake light doesn't work all the time either and I noticed a bit of smoke coming out around the signal switch area. The conclusion seems to be the switch. On 15 Oct 2003 21:32:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (Robertwgross) wrote:

Mine does the same thing, it's quite a PITA to have hold the stalk just right to get the blinker going. I asked my uncle about it and he said something about a special tool.
Well first of all you need a steering wheel puller and I think you need a spring compressor of some sort for the plate.
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:36:40 -0500, "Phillip Schmid"

Having just done that surgery, I had to go and buy a wheel puller. As for the special spring compressor, I just used the parts of the wheel puller, along with two (or three) equal sized sockets to push the locking plate down to get to the snap ring.
My actual time was about 3 hrs, but that included a lot of cursing and swearing, and having a friend point out where I went wrong.
Vuarra
JRL wrote:

Yes, the entire stalk has to be replaced. Read the Helm manual for the procedure.
---Bob Gross---