Need to replace windshield- new or used?

Hello, I have a 1978 Buick Regal whose windshield recently suffered serious damage. It was near a car that was arsoned, and the heat combined possibly with getting splashed by a fire hose cracked it up pretty bad, although oddly enough only on the outer layer of glass. At any rate, it needs replacing.

Are used windshields a good way to go? I'd rather save some dough, especially on an ancient beater like this one, but a friend of mine had a used one installed and it cracked on him. Was this a fluke, or are used windshields a risky way to go?

From what I can tell it costs about $250 for a new one, and $50-75 for

a used plus $70-100 or so for install.

Reply to
wackeddout

If its an old beater as you say, no reason for a new one. Just make sure the used one has NO chips or blemishes around the edge at all. Installation of these isn't too hard. I think you clean all the old adhesive off as best you can, then put on primer for the butyl tape, apply tape to windshield and using several friends install it carefuly as you only get to set it in once.

Reply to
Scott

I always go for the new windshield for the simple reason that you get a super clear and warranted windshield vs. one with who knows how many miles and roughage on it.

...Ron

Reply to
RSCamaro

If you could inspect the used window meticulously, reject anything with a single nick on an edge and install it yourself, a $50 window would be worth the effort. But if you are talking $100 for install plus $75 for an unknown and unseen window, the price is too close to the new window price to take the chance. On the other hand, if you could find someone to install the used window and warranty it for at least 30 days, that would generally be enough to be sure there were no latent defects. Many installers, even for new glass, refuse to warranty anything with a vehicle that old because of rust. Some just won't warrant it for leaks.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Used. Just make sure the windshield is not nicked from being taken out.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you are willing to spend as much as $175 for this, then you 'warranty' it yourself. It might be a good deal if you are careful in selecting the used piece. Finding one with no cracks, blisters, stone-damage, or not sandblasted is a huge PITA, not to mention driving around spending time/gas money. Whether or not the installer will guarantee his work is a question too.

I'd spend the extra $75 for a new piece that is guaranteed. I went through this same thing with my truck. The new unit was well worth it.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt