New GM 3.5

Just wondering if the 3.5 liter v6 appearing in some new GM vehicles is a major re-design, or just a punched-out 3.1/3.4.
I'm hoping the intake leaks were addresed in a fundamental way on the
new motor, not just 'updated gaskets'.
Anybody know??
Regards, Al.
Al Haunts wrote:

Visually, it looks just like the older engines. They have re-designed the intake gasket, both the side gaskets (new design has double row of rubber that goes around the coolant ports) and they now include an actual gasket at the front and rear of the block instead of using RTV. Intakes look different, and there are some differences in the exhaust system.
Ian
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:49:01 GMT, "shiden_kai"

I keep hoping the General will fix the underlying design flaw that lead to the intake gasket debacle. Maybe an increased fastener count or adopting a 'dry' intake manifold design.
Wishful thinking, I guess.
Still like the engines, just wish some of the 'irritants' would be properly addressed. I prefer a 60 degree design for a v6 (balance is everything!!) The 3.8 with its split crankpins, balance shafts, UGH!
Regards, Al.
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:49:01 GMT, "shiden_kai"

Brad
Brad Clarke wrote:

Too soon to tell.
Ian
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:04:22 GMT, "shiden_kai"

Course it doesn't really matter...GM won't do anything about it now - last time I talked to a local tech, the "tick time" was up to 15 or 20 minutes.
Brad