New GM engine unsealed

I recently purchased a new GM Goodwrench engine. The engine was missing a coolant drain plug and an oil sealing plug. The dealership where it was purchased from as well as GM claimed that the customer
should know to install these plugs. Shouldn't a new engine be tested for leaks before leaving the facory and then sealed? Were these test ports that were mistakenly left unsealed after testing at the factory? Has anyone else expereinced the same thing in purchasing a GM engine?
The engine was started up and run without the oil port sealed. No information in the GM manual talks about installing these plugs when installing the engine. I have never purchased an engine in this condition before.
Any thoughts or help here would be appreciated.

I work in a GM Dealership Parts Dept & this is new to me! All the engines I've seen have all been sealed before leaving too. I can see "maybe" a frost plug left open for an engine block heater, but that's about it.
--

Sincerely, Alan Ralston
--

With any engine, no matter the source, and competent person makes sure all plugs are installed before installation or start up.
While I would expect a crate motor to atleast have the plugs you mention included, I would not make a big deal about them not being included. I might ask the dealer where purchased if they were supposed to be or not.
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:23:58 -0700, snowsurfer wrote:

"snowsurfer" wrote

GM assumes that the installer will know what they are doing. This includes checking to see if there are any passages/ports that need to have a plug transfered over. If this is the 3800 GENI goodwrench, they always came without an oil passage plugged. I lost count of how many techs in our shop installed this engine and then had to find the oil leak.
Ian