New GM = Old GM SOS

Impala owners sue GM over alleged defect causing tires to wear out http://tinyurl.com/3txerbt

--
"Your first, last, and only line of defense-a Cohort of Roman Heavy
Infantry"
Jim_Higgins wrote:

Out of curiosity I just spent 25 minutes searching for what is actually wrong and could find no descriptions at all. Just a lot of complaints.
On 7/6/11 7:27 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Very rapid rear tire wear out on the Impala.

He doesnt challenge the symptoms...He wants to know what is wrong with the part or setup per se. GM doesn't seem to want to go there.
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:27:36 -0500, Paul in Houston TX

I posted the below last October. The Edmunds link is now dead, but as I recall that post had good info, which had the cost. The TSB is CSP-08032. Replace the spindles (AKA knuckles) that attach to the strut mounts. The odd thing is this only occurs on some cars, and others have no problem. Probably a bad run of parts.
"Some Impalas wear rear tires badly, some don't. If they do, there's a fix they used on the police cars but GM won't commonly pay for civilians. That's why people turn against GM. They stonewall paying for blatant defects that are easily fixed. You could do the fix yourself for maybe $300 in parts or have it done for $4-500. That's (http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.html?type=tsb&styleId 0757492&zip=) The OP's Lacrosse might be subject to that (W-platform I think), but he didn't mention back tires, so maybe he's "lucky.". Fronts going that fast, even crap tires, might be bad front alignment. The Impala front suspension should be solid if alignment is correctly done. Haven't seen any issues with the design. My guess is at least half of alignments aren't done by good alignment guys."
Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Tire wear is a symptom of a problem, not the cause. I should have said, "What can go wrong with a spindle?" A spindle is a piece of metal. How does it go bad?
On 7/7/2011 12:32 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

The spindle rods that connect it to the rear subframe set the camber. Thats whats changed on the Police recall
Whether then bend or the bushings are going bad are subject to debate
http://detnews.com/article/20110705/AUTO01/107050361/Impala-owners-sue-GM-over-alleged-defect-causing-tires-to-wear-out
bob
bob urz wrote:

http://detnews.com/article/20110705/AUTO01/107050361/Impala-owners-sue-GM-over-alleged-defect-causing-tires-to-wear-out

Obviously there is a problem but I have yet to find anything that says what actually goes wrong. There is no reference to new bolts, only to new spindles. Maybe the spindles elongate? Maybe they shorten? Maybe they break in half?

Not unusual for GM, eh! Make a shit of a mess, and then shovel it on your loyal customers. GM should be gone, an artifact of history