New Starter ( # 3 ) Today!

I had the same problem with U joints last year. Bought three to do all them at once. First two were US made, the third was china made, all three the same brand and model, even the same box, just the made in stamp on the bottom. The China made one as I was ripping the plastic bag off popped the grease fitting off and the little spring sprung out somewhere. Took it back and got another chinese one and was pressing the end cap into the yoke and it cracked. Took it back and they only had chinese ones so I drove to another store and asked the guy to look at the bottom of the boxes until he found a US made one and got it and went home and installed it. Same brand (blue and white box, I forgot the brand name though) for all 5.

Reply to
Eugene

Well starter number 2 has been giving me that warning sign for the last couple weeks " Hey man, I'm getting tired ".

Just about every morning the starter would give you that grinding sound on the first turn of the key.

Second hit of the key & the car would start. Then we advanced to two grinds every other day. Yesterday & today we moved up a notch to three grinds.

Starter # 2 was replaced 2/16/98 at 135,953 miles. The original lasted

7 years and 12 days.

Starter # 2 lasted 161,609 miles over the course of 6 years and 12 months.

With my discount at Chevy, the Delco Remanufactred Starter cost $113.00.

This was the LAST starter on the shelf that said " Assembled In USA".

All the other boxes say Assembled in Mexico.

Naturally my friend gave me the box marked USA.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,525 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

What's the matter HF? No habla Espanol? :-)

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Reply to
Robert Barr