New steering column. HOW TO ALIGN PROPERLY???

Ok, I caved in after 3 mos and bought a used column for my 88 Buick out of an Olds. Now...how do I get the new column synched up with the position of the steering/rack in the car as it sits there waiting? I haven't even looked at in a couple months... Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
FunkyKev

donot worry about it. put the coloum in. rotate the tire to be straight position, keep the streering wheel straight and put them togetter. if you worry about the straightness of the streering wheel, you can remove the steering wheel and correct the shift.

PS: if you have airbag, you need to be carefull about the clockspring. it is nothign but a couple of wires wound around the coluum but you donto wantto break them by overrotating the steering wheel.

good luck

FunkyKev wrote:

Reply to
uccoskun
1) How to straighten the wheels without a column engaged?

2) How to generally center the new column before installation?

Or maybe I'll just stick my head back down there and figure it out :-)

THX. Kev> donot worry about it. put the coloum in. rotate the tire to be straight

Reply to
FunkyKev

Shouldn't there be only one way the column end fits into the yoke at the firewall? If the wheels look reasonably straight (and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be) you should be able to just insert the bottom of the column with the steering wheel in the right-side-up position and then tentatively hang the column into place using the bolts installed loosely, and then turn the wheel both ways to make sure it's right.

Reply to
James Goforth

Aye. There's the rub. (Shakespeare anyone?) The wheel is...er...was cut hard to the left as the car sits right now disassembled. This unique parking method keeps the PS fluid from leaking out :-) $400 wonder car! Now what?

And as for the coulumn/yoke having only one mateable alignment...I don't remember. Still ramping up to the final install. Though the hard part is done...plunking down a hundy to buy a used column!

Kev> Shouldn't there be only one way the column end fits into the yoke at > the firewall?

Reply to
FunkyKev

Methinks me smell analysis paralysis. I'd say it's time to do what you suggested earlier yourself, and just go get underneath that car. Touch, feel, turn, yank, push, reefe, and if necessary - heat with a torch until proper consistency. You can spend - no... you are spending too long asking too many questions. Get underneath that car and figure it out. You'll do it. Ya just gotta try.

Reply to
Mike Marlow