Newer Impalas

When Is GM finally going to make a real impala like they had from 94-96? The new SS's should not even be called SS's. jmho though

Reply to
John

WHAT????...a REAL IMPALA from 94-96????? albeit a V-8 RWD car, but good god man THEY are not even real Impala's How about 64-66??? Or any Impala pre SMOG for that matter.....

The closest thing that GM has worth anything in that catagory right now is the GTO.....and don't get me going on that

Reply to
Eightupman

How about a 1969 Impala SS 427 with a 4 speed? I drove one many years ago, talk about a bundle of get up and go.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Actually, the GTO isnt even an americal car. Its a Holden made in Australia. Its a darn good car, but it reminds me too much of a cavalier that is rear wheel drive, lol. Seriously though, the 94-96 B body with the LT-1 was the closest thing to a reall Impala since fuel injection.

Reply to
John

Your right the GTO is an Australian based car. BUT it is still an American company. Heck, most of the Chevys are Canadian!!! (And the Dodges are Mexican!!!) The GTO looks more BMW to me than Cavalier.

Car companies are now coming around to the 40/50 year mid life crisis guys that drove the hot muscle cars back in the day. I hope to sweet Jesus that they come around and put the Monte Carlo back to a RWD platform. I would go into hock to get one.

Reply to
Eightupman

Waiting to see what GM's solution is to the Chrysler 300C ( Hemi ) with RWD.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~287,124 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

GM still makes a REAL Impala SS but its not imported into the US. Its a rebadged Holden Commodore SS imported to the middle east. It has RWD and uses a 300HP LS1.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Or the Magnum....reminders of the "station wagons" back in the 60's throught the 80's early 90's

I can't wait for the next full size RWD GM car to arrive.....

Reply to
Eightupman

Your right the GTO is an Australian based car. BUT it is still an American company. Heck, most of the Chevys are Canadian!!! (And the Dodges are Mexican!!!) The GTO looks more BMW to me than Cavalier.

there are plans to redesign the GTO, they say it looks to plain, and it is not selling as well as they would have liked.

Reply to
urb's91

The new Chrysler 300C will most likely dominate the police car market. The current IMpala's as police vehicles are a joke as far as power rating goes. In the middle east, they still make the caprice. Check it out.

I wish GM would bring it back here, lol. If they dont, I'll have to buy a Marauder, hehe.

Reply to
John

I believe that the Crown Victoria will remain the vehicle of Police departments choice.

Brian

> View this thread:

el Diablo

I agree. I think the Fury was one of the last Chrysler products Police departments went for. Plus they nearly always stick with US brands...Daimler-Chrysler now being a German company, the 300C is probably is not something they would consider using.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I'll say...they're selling worse than the Aztec is, last time I checked sales numbers. They need to add the hood scoop (since that IS signature GTO) and a convertible option. I didn't think the styling was that bad...but did think that the price was a little steep.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

With the way the GTO is designed, for there to be a convertible option, there would have to be a factory cage in the car. With how much power that car is rated at and with the characteristics of the car, with a convertible version as-is, you would twist the hell out of the unibody. I think GM needed to be more original in the design. The hoodscoop idea, I think that would like really nice. As they sit now, all they are is left wheel drive Holden's with the Pontiac logo. JMO.

Reply to
John

True, but that is nothing new for GM. They used to sell the Nova as a Concourse in other countries. There were many others but my memory is getting bad!

convertible

Reply to
el Diablo

Anyway to get one of those new LS-1 Caprices shipped over?? LOL

Reply to
John

If you go through Europe you see that most police drive the kinds of vehicles that the gov't is telling us to drive. It is only the "Highway patrol" crew that gets the decent units.

I'm thinking that most police over here should drive something like the Vectra CDI 0-60 8.8 sec, 134 MPH top speed,48.6 MPG combined and if they need something faster there is always the 3.0CDTi V6 24v good for 160 MPH. Not too shabby for a smooth quiet diesel.

That's the GM's that I want to see imported here. I'm thinking if it's good enough for the Swiss and Germans, why isn't it good enough for us? GM builds some awesome vehicles but we never get to see 1/2 of them. When I contacted GM about it I was told that our oil refineries are too antiquated to make clean enough diesel which is why all of our decent GM's are gasoline over here. Not sure if it's a BS excuse or the truth.

As for the 300 C dominating the police market? I think that Chrysler will have to prove they can make a vehicle that can last through the warranty period before most police forces will adopt them. The local force tried a few Intrepids for a year before going back to the crown vic and impala's

Reply to
Full_Name

Sounds like both the truth and a BS excuse. The cost to build cars to European standards are higher than in the US. I was station in Europe for four years and the laws govering safety, pollution and inspections drive costs up. Yes the cars may be better, but GM still has to conform to local laws. For example...ever wonder why all GM cars have daytime running lights? A Canadian government requirement on all cars manufactured in and for use in Canada. NOT a requirement in th US, ,but it does save on insurance. Similarities exist in Europe..mandatory rear fog lamps, ,amber parking lights and thats just the smaller stuff. There are other things like alloy/composit brake lines that are of higher standard than what we use here. It is nearly impossible to import a car into the US that does not have a brother already on the market here. If you can't convert the different safety features at reasonable cost they (US) will not allow it.

Things change nearly overnight in the car market so I left there in 2000 and things may not be the same as I mentioned above.

I think Crown Vics will stay until GM builds a full sized RWD car again like the Caprice with the LS-1.

Eightupman

PS Are you speaking of the Vauxhall Vectra??

>> View this thread:

Eightupman

Yup & The new Omega (whatever that's now called)

We need some good choices over here.. For example, how come the Europeans could get a Cosworth Escort that could smoke a Vette but not us? How come the Lotus Carlton was available there but not here? We got the "Scorpio" it was based on but not the Carlton....

Does not make sense... There are some sweet cars outside the US Market. And Anyone who has ever ridden in a Chevrolet Sprint or Ford Explorer knows that it's not safety regulations keeping the Euro stuff out.

Reply to
Full_Name

stuff

you are right, it is not safety regulations. GM, Ford, and Chysler are paying the right people more to keep the European cars off the US market than the Europeans are to get them on. "he who has the most gold rules the world" :bowtie:

Reply to
urb's91