NHTSA

NHTSA complaints: GM outside of Top 10 Toyota Recalls Put into Context by Edmunds.com EDMUNDS

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - February 10, 2010 - Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, has obtained and reviewed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) complaint database. A key finding: despite being the subject of intense scrutiny of the company, Toyota ranks 17th among automakers in the overall number of complaints per vehicle sold.

According to the database, which consists of complaints filed by individuals and is not checked for accuracy by NHTSA, Toyota was the subject of 9.1 percent of the complaints from 2001 through 2010 (through February 3). During this period, the company sold 13.5 percent of all new cars in the United States.

Land Rover ranks first among automakers, with 0.6 percent of the complaints compared to only 0.1 percent market share from 2001 through 2010 (through February 3).

The following chart sets forth the results for all automakers:

  1. Land Rover 2. Suzuki 3. Isuzu 4. Volkswagen 5. Jaguar 6. Volvo 7. Chrysler 8. Mazda 9. Mitsubishi 10. Ford

"No one should overlook the issues raised by the Toyota recalls, but it is important to keep things in perspective," reminded Edmunds.com CEO Jeremy Anwyl. "A broader view shows that consumer complaints reflect an industry issue, not just a Toyota issue. As Toyota's experience in recent months clearly demonstrates, it is no longer an option for car companies to dismiss consumer complaints, even if the event is difficult to replicate or diagnose."

Remainder of article and list (11 - 20) here.

Reply to
Tom

And, pray-tell, does Edmunds differentiate between "a consumer complaint' and a safety recall???

Of course not.

Edmunds, one of many media outlets whom, over the years have sang the praises of Toyota, while at the same time slamming GM, now has to save face.

Only difference is, "customer complaints" are usually squeeks, rattles, or even sometimes leaks, all annoying, and certainly something one does not deserve when he spends thousands of dollars for a vehicle.

OTOH, when a customer "complains" about sticking throttles, rusting suspensions, or bad brakes, especially after he has been involved in an accident, then that "compaint" usually turns into a "recall"

Big difference.

I do agree with Edumunds on the issue of "keeping things in perspective", however.

Just that our "perpective is miles apart.

Toyotas problems are much worse than anything GM could have ever imagined during the Toyota heyday,of the 80's and 90''s, fueled in part, by the likes of Edmunds.

Reply to
jr92

There is a huge flaw in this comparison. Complaints are still being lodged against cars built more than 10 years ago. For example, there were 17 complaints filed since 2001 again 1995 Chevrolet Caprices (out of a total of 107). So unless they only include complaints against cars built since 2001, they are not making the proper comparison between "complaint share" and "market share." This will skew the comparison in Toyota's favor since the Toyota market share is much greater now that the average market sahre over the last 40+ years.Before you ask, yes there are recent complaints against 40 year old models. Another item that makes this analysis suspect is now complaints are categorized. There are numerous complaints related to tires, that are listed againt the vehicle manufacturer. All in all, I'd say this was another pro-Toyota snow job...

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Long form if you prefer:

Or just the chart:

The above links so people can see the chart.

Finally, some basic math and nvestigative journalism. A fact based perspective and not a government slandering knee jerk.

They should also include total complaints, Chrysler and GM were right up there. In fact, GM was 3 times that of Toyota.

------- Government Motors, they just keep on sucking...

Reply to
Canuck57

See my other post in this thread. The Emunds comparison between market share and complaint share is bogus. While they were totalling up total complaints made against vehciles entered into the database since 2001, they didn't filter out complaints made against older cars. As an example I pointed out in my other post, there were 17 complaints filed since 2001 again 1995 Chevrolet Caprices. Unless you filter out complaints against older cars, you can't claim Toyota's market average market share over the period is 13.5%.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

YABUT

Mike Hunter