Nissan to Buy GM!!!!??

Page 1 of 3
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/30/AR2006063000454.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/30/AR2006063000 454.html
I don't see anything in there about Nissan buying GM.
Steve Mackie wrote:

The headline of the article reads: Global Partners Possible For GM Kerkorian Urges Alliance With Nissan, Renault

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/30/AR2006063000
Right, nothing about Nissan buying GM.
Steve Mackie wrote:

I heard it on the local news ... I hope Renault doesn't make the step of buying themselves into GM! Let them focus on making good cars for the non-US markets, and let GM (at least the US part) focus on making good cars for the US. I don't believe that Renault investing money over there will be of any advantage for us. Neither do I believe it will really benefit the US people.

Nissan and Renault are already together. This could be a merger or an alliance that could help save GM's future, I guess.
Both Nissan and Renault make pretty darn good cars..probably better in quality that the crap GM has been turning out. Renault has been terrible about marketing here in the USA, and some of their old production was pretty poor in quality. Much better today.
I might consider buying some GM stock in hopes that this sort of alliance happens. Otherwise, my money would be, I am afraid, wasted on that paper.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

I only know the Opel brand ... other GM cars are very rare over here, I think.
I'd rather have Renault staying focussed on making very good cars for the European market, and other markets where they already have a stake, than seeing them diverting their attention to winning a completely different market. US companies are probably much better in serving the US market anyway, I guess. Just as Renault is doing a very good job in serving the European market.
snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net wrote:

Should GM sell GMAC, then they have cash left over after dept. reduction to buy that car company that starts with a 'T'. Good move before China starts dumping cheap autos in the US and eats everyone's lunch,

Don't bet on GM having enough money to buy anything starting with a "T", not that that company would sell anyhow.
I expect the Chinese cars, sooner or later, and I expect them to be, initially, somewhere between the Yugo and the Kia or Hyundai in quality. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

That's quite a spread in quality - unless you mean Hyundai when it first came over.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I've seen Chinese trucks and "jeeps" in the '70's. They were junk. Their tractors were then too.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Certain Big 3 cars were junk in the 70s, such as some Chrysler products.

Agreed. That is actually what I meant, but should give a big kudo to Hyundai.. They have made massive leaps in quality. China CAN do the same thing..They certainly have it within their grasp to produce quality items.
You are forgetting a few things. The Hyundai brand of vehicles recently out scored the Toyota brand of vehicles, in J D Powers initial quality survey, of 2005 vehicles. You also forgot to mention the plant Toyotas is building in China to make cars for the US. ;)
mike hunt

Document that statement. (Toyota and Chinese production for the U.S.)

I don't do home work for my own grand children, what makes you think I would do yours? Search 'Automotive News,' for the pertinent information you seek, WBMA
mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net wrote:

No, US brands are *not* doing a good job serving the US market, that's why they're having their lunch money taken by the Japanese and European brands. Now reintroducing Renault to the US would be a huge mistake as they have an even worse reputation than GM here, but some current Renault-style management could only be an improvement.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I went by a Honda dealer yesterday. They had plenty of Accords, but not a Civic to be found. Saleswoman said they are taking orders but cannot keep up. Simply put, they get good gas mileage and won the Motor Trend Car of the Year award. Drove by the Chevy lot and they had plenty of Cobalts and Malibus sitting.
I guess that just proves how the average new car buyer is uninformed when one considers the EPA CAFE Guide, for 2006 vehicles, list the Civic with a small 2.0L engine at 23/32 and the Cobalt with the 2.4L at 25/34. Particularly when the Cobalt sells for $1500 to $2,500 less than the Civic.. ;)
mike hunt

If you look at the top models they are closer to $1000. IMO, the Civic is a much sharper looking car. I've not driven, or even sat in them, so I can't make a comparison other than looks and the Civic wins. People also put a lot into the MT award too.