nitrogen in tires

Page 2 of 2
wrote in message

Wheel leaks and corrosion occur, but it is not too common. I have seen a lot of them rusted on the inside.
Nitrogen is very cheap. Nowadays you have to pay for air at the service stations around here. $0.50 per use.
Compressed nitrogen is cheap,even in cylinders, and has no water. If I were going to pay at a service station, would I pay the same for nitrogen as for wet compressed air? Yup. Maybe even a little more.

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/article.php?ar52 http://www.moderntiredealer.com/t_inside.cfm?action=art_det&storyid 07&pgNum=2 http://www.savingyourwaytosuccess.com/savingongas.html
Looks like it is $3 to $5 per tire. We already use 78% nitrogen now! Last time I looked, tire inflation was 75 in my area. Anyone spending that much every week or two would do well to buy a small compressor and do it at home.
After filling up my tank for $45, I'll be damned if I'm going to give them more money to fill a low tire.
wrote in message

I agree, Ed. I only do it when I am caught in a bind. Those cheap 12v inflators do a good enough job.
If I really wanted dry nitrogen in my tires, I would buy a small tank and do it myself.
As I said, nitrogen is cheap..renting the cylinder costs a bit. If I had it available, I would use it, but I am not going to pay $3-5 per tire to a service station for it.
I don't know how old you are, but do you remember the days when one chain kept promising 'pink air' for the tires?

In my state gas stations are required to provide air, and at no charge. They are not required to provide someone to put the air in your tires though. However I find the equipment at many stations to be less than desirable so I just fill at home with a small compressor I bought at the local DYI mega store and use a accurate dial type gauge. Even have a moisture removing attachment on there so I can blow off electronics without putting moisture into them.

Here there is no such law. You get a few seconds of air pressure for $0.50-0.75. You have no idea how much, if any, water is coming into your tires.
Just a point of clarification, the air is compose of around 21% oxygen not 7% and there is just as much outside as inside the tire ;)
mike hunt

Really? How do you get rid of the oxygen on the OUTSIDE of the tires? LOL
mike hunt