No 3rd & 4th in my 700R4

:( I just lost 3rd & 4th on my 700R4. Ijust changed the oil, it looked fine, alittle dark, but no metal. My tranny only has bout 3,500 miles on it. Im pushing bout 425hp thru it. In a 72 El Camino.
Tv cable looks fine & I can still get plenty of torque in 1st & 2nd. It just slips & grabs nothing in 3rd & 4th.
Any & all Suggestions welcome.
Have A Good One & God Bless!
L8trs
"Malyki" wrote: > :( > I just lost 3rd & 4th on my 700R4. Ijust changed the oil, it > looked fine, alittle dark, but no metal. My tranny only has > 'bout 3,500 miles on it. I'm pushing 'bout 425hp thru it. In a > '72 El Camino. > > Tv cable looks fine & I can still get plenty of torque in 1st > & 2nd. It just slips & grabs nothing in 3rd & 4th. > > Any & all Suggestions welcome. > > Have A Good One & God Bless! > > L8trs
Do you have a shift kits in it? The reason I ask is because some of a 700R4 stocks parts are not too stong and shift kits can strain then to failure (particularly the sprags). If hard shifts are your game, you should consider a 4L80 instead of repairing the 700R4. The 700R4 is not a bad tranny and used as designed will last a long time put when you start tweaking it you can sometimes shortens its life.
Malyki wrote:

3/4 clutch pack burnt up? there are plenty of upgrades to beef up this trannie. You probably better off just buying a beefed up replacement. Do a google search and you will find plenty of hits on the problems and parts for it.
Bob
-
Sounds like direct clutch, or retaining ring came off.

"" wrote: > Sounds like direct clutch, or retaining ring came off. > >
> > > :( > > I just lost 3rd & 4th on my 700R4. Ijust changed the oil, it > looked > > fine, alittle dark, but no metal. My tranny only has 'bout > 3,500 miles > > on it. I'm pushing 'bout 425hp thru it. In a '72 El Camino. > > > > Tv cable looks fine & I can still get plenty of torque in > 1st & 2nd. > > It just slips & grabs nothing in 3rd & 4th. > > > > Any & all Suggestions welcome. > > > > Have A Good One & God Bless! > > > > L8trs > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/GM-3rd-amp-4th-700R4-ftopict126500.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pa6519
:P Thanx everybody for the help.
Im still taking sugguestions on the 700R4.
L8trs
Have A Good One & God Bless!