no lights on instrument panel

Hey,
All of the lights have gone out on the dash of my 96 Lumina sedan, 3.1, a/c, auto. All of the fuses are good, mechanic thinks its a dimmer switch and
wants to rip apart the entire interior to do it. Curious to know if anybody has had any experience with this?
Thanks for looking and responding.
All the best.

I had the same problem on my old 90 Camaro, then one da y i was blasting the car radio and they came back on..... go figure , now i did have 2 10" speakers w/amp in it.. lemme know if that works