No more GM for me? Maybe Toytoa

That could be part of the difference. Toyota paid for the out-of-warranty repair (according to this post). GM doesn't seem to want to do that (according to other posts here over the years).

Reply to
jcr

If you believe a Toyota is less likely to break down than other, you are in for a rude awakening.

GM power steering pump $500. Lexus power steering pump $1,500 for one. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Can't prove that by me. None of the Toyotas I have owned have been any better than the domestics I've owned, just more expensive to buy and repair. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You prompted me to check into your claim. Not true.

A transmission was $600 more at one web site I checked.

Alternator and starters were in a range where the Toyota was the same to about $35 more on a $140 to $200 item. Water pumps were even closer.

Unless you can offer specifics, your claim is not going to be a factor in my decision. More important that small differences in cost, is the longevity of the parts. I don't think that a water pump life in any brand is going to be radically different, nor does the price seem to be.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your opinion, contrary to the facts, is what is not logical ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota as well as others all were victims of the government ban. The sad part is the manufactures and their customers where the ones to pay the cost in money and bad will. Just read some of the posts and you will see how some are still putting on the blame on the automotive industry rather than the government.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Truth has never been Mikey's strong point.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

GM paid out hundreds of thousand to repair vehicles with problematic gaskets, as well. It depends on when the problem occurred, warranties that were extended by the manufactures to help in recover the costs, where limited in time/mileage like any other warranty. If you problem occurred outside the time/mileage limit you would not be reimbursed. Ford warranty was 100K 7 years. Other were different, Toyota was five years unlimited mileage, if I recall correctly.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It is not opinion that other auto makers have corrected the problem far quicker than GM. You blame the forced change of taking away asbestos. Since the other auto makers fixed their issues, logic dictates that GM could have as well, or at least that lack of asbestos was no longer a viable excuse. You are the one without a logic compass.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Lexus and Toyota are not the same prices buddy. How much for a Caddy or Lincoln repair. Hehe. I know a guy who had a Lincoln town car and the parts costs were insane. Not fair to compare high end luxury line foreign to standard line domestic. Apples and oranges.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Methinks you have you mind made up and want to reinforce your decision.. Like I said its your money spend it where you wish, I could not care less. You might want to ask yourself this question. If Toyotas are that good why are the NOT the number one seller, in ANY segment of the market, other than the Camry in the mid size class? Why does one see so many Toyotas being traded in on other brands? Look in used are lots of other brands and see the Toyotas there for yourself.

Toyota does indeed make good stuff, but all other manufactures are building good stuff today as well. Buying one particular brand thinking it will be even marginally batter than any other is a myth. Every survey shows between

1% and 2% of all manufactures vehicles have defects in the first five years, which means around 98% of all manufactures vehicles do not have defects in the first five years.

With my experience in the business people are always asking my advice on which to buy. My answer is go drive all those that meet your needs, then get a TOTAL DRIVE HOME and buy the one you like that best suits your budget. ;)

mike hunt

More important that small differences in cost, is the longevity

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You might want to look a bit deeper, but in any event in your example twenty-five percent higher IS a big difference in price and $600 will buy a lot of small parts. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Duh, Cadillac uses GM parts, just like Lexus uses Toyota parts. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Then you wouldn't bother posting.

Maybe Toyotas are the vehicles that auto dealers keep to sell. Perhaps they auction the others off, rather than keep them on the lot forever. I don't see any Toyotas at all on the private lot I walk past every day.

And look at the prices they command. Somebody thinks they're worth buying.

Nope. Figure your projected automotive expense. This includes depreciation.

can

***
Reply to
dh

Ohhh, those evil enviro-wackos, pressuring government ruining the asbestos market.

Industry knew for a long time that asbestos was dangerous. They should have been switching away from asbestos years before the mandate.

The company I work for abandoned solvent-based processes before any government regulations required it. We have industry-leading processes as a result.

***
Reply to
dh

But we are also looking at a 4 speed versus a 5 speed. Of course the new Camry has a 6 speed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nope, mind not made up yet. The list has narrowed from my first choices. I'm still going to drive and price a couple of makes and models. As I said, Lucerne was a shoe in until recently, but then I got hit with that big tranny bill.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
SgtSilicon

So - just what was this super secret, select customer extended warranty that GM offered Mike? And for how long? For what model year cars?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Ah Mike, you never give that one up. Asbestos was outlawed a long, long time ago. GM has been having this same problem for over 15 years now and seems to be the ONLY company still having chronic intake manifold gasket failures on vehicles built in the 2000s.

John

Reply to
John Horner