No new car today

Page 2 of 3

I'm sorry Mike - but you are full of shit. I live here, I've bought and sold many cars over my lifetime and I have never - not even once, had to appear with the other party before any agency at all - not even a notary public.
Please Mike - you delight in making an ass of yourself on usenet and that's your pergoative, but you really should limit just how much and how often you expose yourself.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

"anybody" would have to have my title in their possesion, first. Then, he/she would have to forge my signature on it. Then he/she would go to jail. :)
Dave
That is exactly correct. There are plenty of 'anybodys' that have access to your VIN and title number. All they need to do is apply for a duplicate title with another address and they will have your title in their position.. Getting a title is not necessarily difficult. What prevents those 'anybodys' from actually transferring YOUR title is the fact they can not easily prove they are you when they sign the title in front of an authorized agent to have a new title issued in the name of other. That is the point of title security.
mike hunt

Similar issue: My mother-in-law passed away a year ago and was living in a nursing home at the time. We went to pick up her motorized scooter. Turns out the medical equipment rental co. had picked it up. We called and said "give us back our scooter. Our mother paid for that scooter -- like $1800 or so, from a different company." They said "it's our scooter, its serial number is on our records as a rental unit." So apparently, when they went there to fetch other equipment, they saw the scooter and wrote down the serial number of the scooter on their paperwork and thus stole our scooter. We found our sales paperwork for the scooter but the serial number wasn't listed anywhere. Word to the wise. Keep track of serial numbers on your pricey stuff. Or you might get ripped off by dumbass/unscrupulous co's. I am still pissed off about that. It's mainly the principal of the matter, not just the scooter. But having the scooter would have been nice, as we have another relative who can barely walk.
-

Bullshit. I've bought and sold many cars and never had to appear in front of an agent or prove anything. May vary in your state, but not in any that I've lived in.
Ya right
mike

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Quite true. I've bought and sold a number of cars in at least 5 different states and have never had to 'appear' anywhere. Some states do require seller/owner signature verification on the owner transfer section of the title, but that's what a Notary Public is for.
DUH a notary Public IS an authorized transfer agent. Try showing up at one WITHOUT the seller, and with the sellers section of the title already signed, and see what happens LOL
mike hunt

In Ontario (don't know about other provinces), that's how we do it. I sign my paperwork for my car over to the new buyer, and he/she takes it into a driver and vehicle center, where they change everything over and give him/her a new copy of the ownership, in his/her name.

Mike Hunter wrote:

No MYKUNTer, you're obfuscating the matter as usual; the Seller signs the title transfer part IN THE PRESCENCE of a Notary Public, who then affixes his/her seal testifying that the signature is genuine. After that, it's ONLY necessary for the buyer to go to the courthouse, and the Seller needs no further involvement. Further, some States don't even require the Seller's signature to be validated by a Notary; I know that Indiana didn't in '98 when I SOLD a car there, and Oklahoma didn't in '77 when I BOUGHT a car there.

Precisely my point, dummy
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

What IS your point, IDIOT?

grappletech wrote:
. Skinflint cheapskates galore. Last car I sold

I love listing a car, at a fair price, and then you get all kinda time wasters, who are too lazy to come LOOK and DRIVE the car, but they wanna give you $1,000 for it sight unseen
buncha jagoff time wasters...
For has not offered an Escort in years, when did used cars acquire a 'sticker" price?
mike hunt

It was new and it was some years ago. No one has offered a new car for $6500 either in many years. The point was it is sometimes smart to just walk away and check out another dealer no matter how enthusiastic you are about the car. . And how the first sales guy could have made a sale if he gave his "best" price up front, not screwed around trying to take advantage of a new car buyer.
That must have been a company that also owns a Toyota dealership. ;)
mike hunt

Not the same owner, but Toyota is right across the street. The Buick sticker is $1500 over invoice. The Avalon sticker is $4089 over invoice. With little prodding the Toyota dealer (started at $2k discount) went to $3200 discount, leaving about $800 over invoice. I don't know if Toyota dealers have the same deals with holdbacks and such, but the equivalent would have still been about $700 off sticker. Had the Buick dealer gone about $1k off, I'd have probably written the deposit check.
I'm in no hurry, so I'll wait for a good, fair, deal, be it in Buick or some other brand. I'm curious about the new Altima coming out. Looks sharp in photos, but I've not driven one.
mike hunt

Edwin, have you checked out the Ford 'Five Hundred' car? They're nice looking and they sit up high, like an SUV, so getting in/out is easier. Cheaper than an Avalon by $4500. The Avalon is kind of homely, in my opinion. Toyota hasn't produced attractive cars in 10 years. The family podiatrist just bought a Ford 500 and loves it.
-