No new car today

Page 3 of 3

I've looked from a distance, not close up. I probably will as I get closed to a buy. They just didn't seem very exciting, but the ease of entry and exit gets more important every year. If it wasn't I'd probably get an Eclipse.
That is what I do. I ask for the final price (without sales tax) but including all other fees, prep, documentation etc. This way they can't add these items on top of the "final" price. I tell them I don't care how they break it down. It reduces some of the games they play.
Mike Hunter wrote:

I hope you get the finance terms set as well. ;)
mike hunt

Most GM dealers here now do. A smart way to survive!
When I was Group Sales Manger for one of the largest mega dealerships groups on the east coast, we sold just about every brand on the market, in six states.. That is how one makes big bucks in the industry. Even back then we made the largest profit margins on those 'smarter than the average' buyers that bought import brands ;)
mike hunt

Yep, multi-line dealerships are the way to go for profit. If one brand isn't popular, there are 4 or 5 other lines to sell. Do these multi-line dealerships commonly allow the salespeople to sell ALL the brands? Or are they trapped selling one brand? It'd be tough to sell one brand, esp. if that brand doesn't have exciting products. Like Eugene Levy's character in Vacation (1983)....."The Wagon Queen Family Truckster........this is your automobile!........If you think you hate it now, just wait'll you drive it!"
-
Go back on Thursday late in the day, its the last day of the month and they have to meet their quotas, some will sell at cost just to meet quota and clear the lots. Car manufacturers are not happy when the dealers don't meet quotas. I would suggest going back, and the salesman who didnt want to deal with you today just ignore him, talk to another salesman and let him get the deal.
Dick Steal wrote:

last day of the month definately works, I have bought 5 or 6 cars between the 27th, and 31st over the last 15 years.
they want that "one more for the month" on their sold column

Typical bait & switch. I'd have left immediately.

My brother's mother-in-law needed a car after hers had just blown up. She made only like $9/hour as a nursing home worker and isn't too savvy about cars/negogiating. My brother saw a newspaper ad, this was in like 2000, for a Geo Metro coupe for $7500 or something. It was the loss leader: car sold at cost or below cost to get folks in. They then say "sorry that car's been sold." So they get there to the Geo/Chevy place and of course the $7500 car is gone. He haggled and threatened to leave and ended up getting her a Metro sedan with auto tranny and AC for $8800 or something, not much more than the base coupe. With a low payment even --like $150/month. She would have probably have ended up paying a lot more for a lesser car, if buying the car herself. I never let my mom go alone to a dealership. The salesmen are like sharks looking for victims.
-