No power, complete shut down

A few nights ago I had forgot to turn the Dom light off and had ran the battery down. Since my old battery needed to be replace anyway in a few months, I just got a new battery. I put the battery in and
nothing works-- it is like there isnt a battery in the car-- a complete shut down. I cleaned the cables, check the battery connection-- still nothing. A guy at the car parts store told me that it is the alternator, but nothing works, not even the power locks or dom-light. I am not much of a car person and my mechanic is on vacation, and I cant even start the car.
Does anybody know what the problem is, and how do i fix it???
Applegate wrote:

This ain't rocket science. Sometimes they sell a new battery and forget to charge it. My neighbor just put one in from Murray's and it was stone dead. There is also infant mortality on new batteries. Check the battery first.
Batteries ar esuposed to be shipped full charge. But, mistakes do happen.
Also clean the battery terminals. Push the screw things out of the rubber ends, wire brush them, too. Good luck.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Take the battery back to where you bought it and have them charge it. You bought a dead one. It happens.
On 13 Dec 2005 08:35:36 GMT, Applegate

It is possible the battery is DOA. Put a volt meter across the terminals. You should show about 12.5 volts or at least something even if it is discharged.
Applegate wrote:

Bad battery.