No power steering?

My wife decided to show off and do a donut at her school in her 2001 impala. She then called me to complain that she doesn't have power steering. I found the fluid was empty even though I check it every couple weekends so I
thought maybe a line was leaking. Topped it off and we still don't have any power steering and I can find no leaks and the fluid is staying full? Bad pump or internal leak in a valve in the rack?
She broke it, tell her to fix it! She practicing for "Extreme Police Car Chases"? Kidding.....Anyway.....there may be a bubble in the system. Fill the system and jack the front end off the ground. Then start the car and rotate the wheel (at a driving type pace) from stop to stop about 30 times, and see if it comes back. Don't hold the wheel in the stop position too long as this WILL cause problems. Your owners manual may cover what happens when you hold the wheel at full stop for too long.
Maybe that is what she did when she pulled the donut......jammed the wheel to full stop and held it there too long.
Eightupman

Eightupman wrote:

Well I have driven the car a couple times over the last couple days now (it had only 1/2" of ice on it and my truck had an inch) and it hasn't worked any air out yet, I'll try lock to lock with it jacked up and see.
She didn't know that you can't really do donuts in a front wheel drive, said she remembers me doing it once in my truck, but I was just testing my locker :)
Well, you CAN do donuts in a FWD car. As long as she doesn't find out that the secret to doing donuts in a FWD car is the emergency brake, and some fancy steering wheel work oh and a big icy parking lot somwhere in upstate NY. NOT that I have done that in the past or anything!!
:-)
Eightupman

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 05:58:33 GMT, "Eightupman"

Shame ! That's so.... rally Old school.
If it's being done in a school parking lot the routine is to:
"put the car in reverse, lock the steering & nail the gas..."
Hence the blown PS seals & disappearing fluid.
Full_Name wrote:

I'm glad she doesn't read here so she won't be going out to try again.
What seals could it have blown, I assume they will be in the steering rack so I would just have to replace the whole rack (whomever invented rack and pinion steering should be beat with it)
THat will work too, but I like to feather the E-brake, and control the spin a little more...Old school or not; either way works!!

bamboo shoots Sherry chicken broth oil for deep frying (1 gallon) Salt pepper soy & teriyaki minced ginger, etc. 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water 1 egg beaten
Make the stuffing: Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove. Stir-fry the vegetables. Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning. De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol. Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes. Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick, then place the stuffing into a colander and cool; 2 hours Wrap the rolls: Place 3 tablespoons of stuffing in the wrap, roll tightly - corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in, wrap till remaining corner is left. Brush with egg, seal, and allow to sit on the seal for a few minutes. Fry the rolls: 325 if using egg roll wraps, 350 for spring roll wraps. Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.
Lemon Neonate
Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human, although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its 10 to 14 months of life...
4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates) 2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible) Olive oil Green onions Salt pepper cornstarch neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine) garlic parsley fresh cracked black pepper
Season and saut the cutlets in olive oil till golden brown, remove. Add the garlic and onions and cook down a bit. Add some lemon juice and some
Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours. Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag, drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly, then deep fry in hot oil (350) for about 15 minutes. Drain and place on paper towels.
Miscarriage with Mustard Greens
Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens. The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables; green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.
1 premature baby, born dead Large bunch of mustard greens 2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery Vegetable oil (or hog fat) Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.
Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot. Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed). Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water when it starts to stick. Stir frequently. When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea. Coffee and apple pie then brandy.
Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner
If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nursery, or morgue; you can at least get rid of all the leftovers in your refrigerator.
1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...) 1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...) Bell pepper onions garlic ginger salt pepper, etc. Olive oil butter
Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil, place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter. Bake at 325 for