No reason to leave GM

What is wrong with this picture?
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/BUSINESS01/604110335/1014/BUSINESS

And people wonder why the price of cars is what they are. What other industry pays that much for that service?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

before everyone gets all worked up over the pay it would be interesting to find out how many hours are involved. She is probably working weekends (time and a half or double time) in addition to her normal 40 hours and afternoon shift (5% shift differential).
When I was a maintenance foreman 23 years ago my people made close to $100,000 but we also worked almost every weekend.
That $100,000 23 years ago was setting up GM for the trouble they are in today. Twenty-three years ago I hired on at a major chemical company at $36,500 a year. And that included lots of hours of weekend work and no extra pay for it. It was simply expected. That's with a Ph.D. and a post-doc under my belt. In other words, very highly skilled. That was the average starting salary for a Ph.D. chemist. There is no way on earth that any auto-worker was worth $100,000 back then.
The seeds that were sown at GM back then are bearing bitter fruit today.

/1014/BUSINESS
> On 4/11/2006 3:12 PM ... Morton Throckmocker wrote:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/BUSINESS01/604110335/1014/BUSINESS
Don't all office cleaning staff (i.e. custodians) earn $114,000 a year?
> On 4/11/2006 3:12 PM ... Morton Throckmocker wrote:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/BUSINESS01/604110335/1014/BUSINESS
Don't all office cleaning staff (i.e. custodians) earn $114,000 a year?
GM will leave you