No spare tire????

Page 1 of 3
The new Cobalt and Malibu (and possibly many other cars) no longer have a spare tire and jack unless you pay $100 for the option. Instead, you get an
"inflation kit" that is probably like the gunk you buy at the auto store.
Frankly, I don't recall the last time I've needed the spare, but I'm more comfortable knowing I have it if I'm driving out in the boonies late at night.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Its called "value engineering", GM has been infamous for this. Not a good omen for GM's future.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Perhaps, but I've vehicles without spares in the past, and never had a problem. I'd carry a plug kit/tool, small compressor, and the factory 'insta-fix' and be happy.

Sorry...maybe it is too early in the morning.. What is "factory insta-fix"?

Stuff GM gives you in place of a spare... <g>
PeterD wrote:

Does anyone remember the first GM design of a mini spare? I have a few of them around here. 13", 14" and a couple 15" They were a standard rim with a VERY elastic tire mounted on them. The sidewalls collapsed in and the tread compressed the entire unit down to a size about 1" larger than the bare rim. Included a CO2 canister that you screwed into place to inflate the tire up to standard size.
Porsche used them on a few models as well. They included a small compressor for the ones they used though.
--
Steve W.

Ah, nothing beats the Hummer H1's CTIS... Going down the highway, you can both monitor tire pressure with the dash gauge, and add air as needed. I picked up a nail in CT once, drove to NH, adding air every 15 minutes or so to keep the pressure at the level I wanted. Worked wonderfully.
Spare? Nope, the Hummer H1 doesn't have one from the factory. Does have run-flats, CTIS, and by carrying a plug kit you are all set.
90 percent of the drivers in the US wouldn't know how to change a flat anyway. Just carry a cell phone.
---
If I were you and that is what you believe, I would order the tire/jack option.

Mike Hunter wrote:

That is like having to order pickles, lettuce, secret sauce, etc. It should already be there. A spare has always been an essential-at least to me.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

before you get all hot and bothered about it, if you have bought a car lately there are many options offered, depending on the dealer you will find many or almost all with this option included. They can order it any way they want plus there are many tirm levels for the dealer to order
Ya' and so was a "choke" on a carburetor until technology made both obsolete. I can not remember the last time I had to change a tire, it has been so long. ;)

Mike Hunter wrote:

Point taken, I just fret a whole lot more if there is no spare.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:39:09 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

I've done about one a year for the last few years, but that is a relatively 'large' group of vehicles...

Don't see the problem here, if you want a spare tire BUY it, if not don't buy it problem solved
And furthermore;
I see where gas tank capacity of the Focus and the Cobalt are down to 13 gallons.
Did they save a penny by making the tank smaller ? Was shaving the weight of 2 gallons ( 16lb ) mean that much ? So, folks'll spend that much more time at the gas station.
BTW; I priced the new COBALT at EDMUNDS again....... So much that's "standard" on other cars is an extra-cost option. . A "compact car" with a $17,000 price tag ??? OUCH !!
Every manufactures small cars have been going up in price since 2008. The reason being that their larger more expensive models sales are down and no longer providing the profits that were used to subsidize the price of their small cars.
Every manufacture needed small cars sales to support CAFE and thus they were subsidized to enable them to sell more of their higher profit models that adversely effect their CAFE figures

I hate the secret sauce. I am not wild about pickles or lettuce on a burger either. I like things my way.
All this talk about not having a spare got me thinking - I have never even checked to see if my Fusion has a spare....I am pretty sure it does. On the other hand, my F150 definitely has one since I had to use it when the truck was less than 6 months old. For by previous F150, I did not take the spare down from the rear until the truck was 13 years old, and then I was sitting in the driveway at home.
I suspect most Malibus in a dealer's stock include the spare. I can't imagine a dealer would order one for the lot without it. On the other hand, some cheap fleets or individuals might decide not to.
I always keep a cheap air compressor in all my vehicles. I'd much rather blow the tire up on the side of the road than jack it up to change the tire. Roadsides are not ideal jacking locations!
Ed
it was nice having the spare tire this past September when a road trip to Ohio resulted in a 2" slit in the inner sidewall. Fix a flat or plugs would of been useless to me in this case.. I prefer a spare.
harryface 91 Bonneville 320,854 05 Park Avenue 93,812
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:36:20 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Me too. Even that little "donut" spare will get you down the road for a replacement tire. Did it once. I should check to see if there's any air in that thing.
--Vic