No spare tire????

Page 2 of 3
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

LOTS of others that don't have spares. Porsche, Corvette, Smart, BMW, Ford Focus, Dodge Challengers, Honda Fit, Pontiac G8, Toyota Sienna, Cadillac CTS, The entire Saturn line in 2010, Most Audi models, Mazda, Nissan, Jeep, Mini. Just a few of the current makers and models that don't have spares. There will be more added by 2011-2012 because the lost weight helps the CAFE numbers.
--
Steve W.

Yeah, but...but...but...but
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

Personally I like the idea of not having a spare.
I HATE crawling around under a vehicle to drag out the tire, usually covered with dirt/rust. Beating the damn winch into submission to get it down. Then having to knock the crap off of it so it will fit over the hub. The lug wrench you get is usually one step above a torture device. Then you get the tire off. Install the spare and discover it only has 10 pounds of air in it!
MUCH easier to pick up the phone, call AAA or a local tow outfit. tell them the vehicle and what tire size and have them bring a spare out, or tow you in. 100 bucks or so. No sweating, getting dirty or having to fight with the damn thing. Works for me...
--
Steve W.

have a

get an

store.
more
at
Fit,
2010,
Fine. No one is in anyway impeding anyone from choosing that as an alternative to having and maintaining a spare. I suppose all cars could also be sold without passenger or rear seats, headliners, arm rests, window regulators, trunks ...

Then don't do it.

One can always easily pack and use the device of his choice.

Does one also wait until the other tires are that low or the oil light comes on, the vehicle runs out of gas ... before checking them?

Some actually prefer the idea of self-reliance, choosing their own fate, organizing and making the necessary preparations that such an approach requires such as having jumper cables (not only for yourself but others), a flashlight, small tool kit ...

Heron McKeister wrote:

That used to be the way you ordered them. Pretty much everything was optional. I have had two cars that were ordered from the factory with no rear set, no headliners, no door panel trim, no heater, no radio and a few other common items missing. They were COPO cars designed as factory built race cars.

The last time I had to use a spare was so long ago I cannot even remember it.

True, BUT if you don't use it what good is it?

Not usually, however I will admit I don't always check the spare.

Gee you mean I'm not considered self-reliant? Lets see, Jumper cables, Yep 2 sets (one set plugs into the socket on the grill) Small tool kit, Nope, BIG tool kit Yep. Flashlight, yep, somewhere north of 6 in my vehicle. Two tug straps, set of tire chains for all 4 corners
Add in a first aid kit, my medical bag (EMT) my turnout gear, one case of water, 6 MREs, mixed drink mix single packets (bottled water tastes like SHI& when it's warm), my fire police gear, 20 30min. flares, two cell phones and the two fire radios. Plus during the winter there is a chain saw, ice auger and a fire axe. Plus a few other odds and ends. All of this stuffed into the back of an S-Blazer! I'm really glad is has the split rear seat.
--
Steve W.

How very odd, you sound quite self sufficient and not at all like the type that would depend on, require or desire others to provide him with anything, let alone a spare tire.
Heron McKeister wrote:

I don't expect anyone to provide me with anything. That doesn't preclude me from calling for a tow if needed though, any more than being an EMT slows me down in heading to a doctor if I break an arm.
--
Steve W.

A tow, solely due to a refusal to carry a spare tire, for someone otherwise particularly well equipped and geared for emergency responses is a juxtaposition I have trouble reconciling. However you can rest assured in the certain knowledge that I, for one, would no more begin to equate an EMT with an MD than I'd confuse a Jiffy Lube grease monkey for an MIT professor of theoretical physics or that oil change the former might perform with the Millikan oil drop experiment ;^)
A tow, solely due to a refusal to carry a spare tire, for someone otherwise particularly well equipped and geared for emergency responses is a juxtaposition I have trouble reconciling. However you can rest assured in the certain knowledge that I, for one, would no more begin to equate an EMT with an MD than I'd confuse a Jiffy Lube grease monkey for an MIT professor of theoretical physics or that oil change the former might perform with the Millikan oil drop experiment ;^) ____________________________________________________________
Reconciliation of a juxtaposition by a putative reconciler is contraindicated if the objective is to pedantically troll.
Rodan < - - - Takes the hook every time.
Heron McKeister wrote, "A tow, solely due to a refusal to carry a spare tire, for someone otherwise particularly well equipped and geared for emergency responses is a juxtaposition I have trouble reconciling. However you can rest assured in the certain knowledge that I, for one, would no more begin to equate an EMT with an MD than I'd confuse a Jiffy Lube grease monkey for an MIT professor of theoretical physics or that oil change the former might perform with the Millikan oil drop experiment ;^) " ****************************************** Bravo!! Well played, suh. NOT.

Haven't had an under-carraige spare for a long time. Yep, a real PITA. I drilled the frame on my F-150 to put on a spare-holder, as I wanted it out of the bed. That one required a wrench to get the nut off so it would drop off, and to put it back you had to basically lay the tire on your chest first so you could muscle it up there. Calling AAA would work, though since I'm driving a car, when I'm on the road 10 miles from the nearest town, I'd just change it. Always check the spare kit before I hit the road on a long trip, and have a container of GoJo and rags in there for cleanup. Have my own 4-way lug wrench. When I load the trunk I always think "Hope I don't have to unload all this to get at the spare." But last time I used a spare was maybe 20 years ago, so I probably wouldn't miss it. Still get the option though. Just how I am.
--Vic

I can partially agree with you. My Roadside Assistance for five years covers the change. That is, if you can reach it.
There are some places in this country that are many miles from any town, service station, cell tower, or other form of help. Or it is hours of waiting in the desert or during a heavy snow. Last time I personally changed a tire has been many years, probably 30+ ago, but I still want the spare available. My wife, OTOH, can do without as she does not drive far from home and would not know what to do with it anyway.
If that is the case, you should opt for the spare
wrote in message

I needed AAA in a larger town near by one Sunday. The response was "Find a phone book and look for a garage who as a AAA logo in their advertisement..."
I let my AAA membership expire, and never bothered with them again.

Not our typical experience at all.

Probably true, this was many years ago. But regardless, it left such a bad taste in my mouth for AAA that I've never gone back. Imagine being told to "Look in the phone book" on a Sunday afternoon, with the family stranded on the side of the road.
Also, as a side issue. What eventually happened:
This was a Toyota. I was two or three blocks from the Toyota dealership. I called the police and asked if it was ok to leave the car at the side of the road. They said OK, but make sure it is well off the road. (I'd explained what the problem was, no possible tows).
I then went to the Toyota dealership. Took my keys, and wrote them a note: "My car is at XYZ, please pickup it up and fix it." Now, the Toyota was out of warranty at this stage... And the dealer didn't really know me, I'd bought it elsewhere.
I went home, and decided that I'd not worry about it again.
Monday noon time I called the dealer... "We got your car picked up first thing this morning. Was an item that Toyota has a customer service satisfaction campange on, so the repair is free. We do have to charge for tow, how much tow allowance do you get on AAA or your insurance?" I told them, and that was what I paid! Out of pocket: Nothing. Car fixed by lunch time. One very happy Toyota customer. One still ticked off AAA customer.
There is my example of absimal customer service, and outstanding customer service.

More dealerships should emulate your experience.
I hope you complained to AAA.

I told AAA I wasn't impressed at all, and would not be back to renew. They cared zilch, but every year they send me a "Send this in and become a member..." letter. I figure they owe me at least one free year for the year that turned out to be a waste of my money. <bg>
Is there ANY new car that does NOT have FREE Roadside Assistance today?
wrote in message

Many do, but the Toyota in question was used, and out of warranty. And as well, this was before free roadside assistance was offered (mid-80s). (Geeze, I bear a grudge a long time, don't I? <bg>)