Noise from Cavalier front end

1991 cavalier with 41k miles makes a clunk sound when the left front wheel hits a bump,or standing still when I push down on the
drivers fender. the noise occurs at the same point in its travel and pushing on the other fender does nothing.. whats going on?

It's making noise, that's what's going on. Really - you post that you can produce the noise at will, and then you ask "what's going on?" in a newsgroup that can't see or hear the problem. How about sticking your head down there while someone pushes down and then you can actually see what's going on. If it's that reproducible, then it should be easy to see what's causing it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

The question was for someone that might have seen the same thing before. it seems to be coming from somewhere under the engine,there isn't much room for anyones head there. so how would you do it? with jack stands?
I planned to take it somewhere but don't want to get ripped

can
head
what's
what's
Not to be a wise guy, but by the very nature of your quesiton you seem to lack the fundamental knowledge to benefit from what could be offered here. That's not an insult. There are many things that could make noise under the conditions you describe and trying to walk a person through who does not understand the basics is a very difficult undertaking. I'm sure one of us has seen whatever is wrong before, but at this point it could be one of a dozen things. You could put a jack stand under the A-frame and remove the wheel so that you can get your head in there. That might point to an area that you could describe better. Perhaps then someone could offer advice that will really lead to a fix.

It's not a very realistic expectation to hope that a newsgroup, populated by a bunch of folks who have never seen your car and cannot see it, could advise you what is wrong so you don't get ripped. Especially with an incomplete description of the problem. I would suggest you talk around with some friends and find a reputable garage you can take your car to. You really can't learn enough from a newsgroup to make you knowledgeable enough to deal with a garage so that you "don't get ripped".