Normal operating temp

I have a 1998 Oldsmobile 88 with a 3800 series 2 V-6 and was wondering what the normal operating temperature should read on my gauge. It heats up real
fast and goes up to 220 then the fans kick in and the temp only drops down to 200. Is this car running too hot or is this normal. I have checked the coolant and it's full and the protection level is good.
I also have a 92 Buick regal with the original 3800 motor and the gauge on that car always reads 160 degrees. If it gets hotter it never goes past 200 before the fans kick in and then cools it down to 160 again.
Was just wondering if my olds is running too hot and what should I look for.
smantas wrote:

On my Series II engine, it generally runs at 197-198 F. On my previous Series I engine, it would run around 200 F, but there was more variation. Neither should be running at 220 or 160 F for a steady state. If this is the case, then have the thermostat replaced.
---Bob Gross---
I have a 98 Buick with the same engine. Temps run 190-194 and the fans come on at about 208. Maybe your thermostat is not opening all the way. Also, do you have the proper ratio of Dexcool to water?

what
real
down
on
200
for.
Series I

should
have

The gauge should go up before the thermostat opens and the fan kicks in because the engine is heating up to operating temp. Do you have a sufficient amount of coolant in the system? Is the radiator cap operating properly? Is the vehicle actually overheating (i.e. Do you have any indication of boling water in the system, like steam coming out through the overfow tube)? You may have a faulty sensor on your gauge or your gauge could be reading incorrecty, they are frequently wrong. Try using a direct reading thermometer that will give you an accurate reading. Failing that, you could have a faulty thermostat. Rich B
I can tell you from experience that the fan is set to turn on at 226 and off at 210. Run the a\c and you will see it takes longer to heat up. The numbers on that Regal are way too low.Sounds like the Regal has a gauge problem but no problem with the Olds.

what
200
for.
I'm suspecting my Montana van is over-heating too. When you guys mentioned 160 degree t-stat, does it mean that's where the temperature should staying at?
I had the gasket problem fixed on the 3.4L and I'm suspecting the engine itself is not doing too good and is over-heating rather than the coolant system is malfunctioning.
Thanks,
Simon

real
down
the
on

mentioned
staying
Thermostats Open at the stated tempiture. That does not mean your engine will operate at that tempiture. Yet it should operate cooler. Some Engines, like Chevy Small Blocks in pick ups, will opperate just fine with a 160 degree opening theromostat. In the winter they will still produce enough heat. Other vehicals such as Astro Vans will not produce enough heat in the winter, unless you run at over a constant 3,500 RPMs.
If your van is over heating start with the simple checks. Check to see what tempiture your fan tunrs on at. Make sure it runs untill the proper shut off tempiture.
Make sure the cooliant switch for the fan, as well as the relay are working properly. If they are, go on to have the radiator pressure tested. If the cooling system is holding pressure, and the vehical is still overheating, have the Therostat replaced. Yet do so with the proper direct replacement opening range.
If this does not clear up the over heat issues, have your water pump replaced. Charles