Not to beat a dead horse....

I know I know, I've been complaining about symptoms for 2 weeks now and really haven't done anything to correct them, but I promise to start ASAP. After doing a bunch of reading, chatting with people and driving the car
90kms a day, here's what I got.
No low end torque Poor throttle response Power flattens out on the top end Engine "bucks" at cruising speed Engine seems to cough at highway speeds I have an exhaust leak, maybe manifold gasket not sure (this one is stupid because I put Flowmaster 50 series mufflers on so the car is really loud anyway so I didn't notice until a someone mentioned it and I thought it does sound kinda loud up front and in the cabin, those Flowmasters are coming off ASAP)
These seem to be the symptoms that a lot of people have when the cat is clogged or the timing is off. I'm going to go get the stuff to measure the back pressure. Weld a bung onto the pipe, thread a hose/pressure guage into it and drive down the road. That should be easy and cheap enough to do.
I replaced the timing belt last week, took the shortcut by not setting the timing, I think I'm gonna do it now. Also, is the slash mark on the balancer guaranteed to be TDC? I got to thinking about it because all I did was line up all the yellow/white paint marker dots on all the timing belt sprockets and change the belt there, but the slash didn't line up with the arrow on the front cover. Now the manual says "line up the paint marker with the arrow," but the balancer didn't have a paint mark, the slash didn't line up, so I figured the paint washed off. Now I'm thinking the timing belt must have been changed previously and the guy who did it didn't care about the marks on the sprockets.
Properly adjusting the timing is free, so that's good. Now, about that slash.
Steve
If it is the head gasket and you drove it 90 kms a day for several week it is probable too late. Most likely you trashed the engine from all the antifreeze in the oil
mike hunt
Steve Mackie wrote:

Been down that road, not a head gasket.

Just did some more tests. The temperature readings I was getting on the cat before must have been a fluke. I measured the temperature after driving for a while, the temp before the cat was 170-180C and after was around 110-120C.
Also check engine vacuum, runs smooth at 16". Seems low, the gauge I have says "late exhaust timing". While checking vacuum and looking for exhaust leaks (which I found), I noticed the brake booster vacuum line collapses under vacuum. That would explain why I intermittently don't have power brakes while idling. So I'm also guessing the low vacuum reading is a function of a partially clogged cat as well, or maybe my timing is a bit off!
Time to take it to the muffler shop.
Steve

does
off