OBD code readers

I am going to purchase an OBD code reader, and just wanted to solicit some feedback from those of you who have purchased one:
o brand and model
o price paid
o particular likes/dislikes
o what, if anything, would you change
I will be using it primarily on my own vehicles, (2003 GMC Savana, 2000 Saturn LW2), but probably would like to help out friends without a reader.
Your experiences and advice would be appreciated.