OBD2 code 0301

1997 Chev Cavalier 2.2 L OHV (lifting rod) engine.

installed a Jasper Remanufactured Engine. After a few days of driving, Check Engine light came on. OBD2 scanner pop's code 0301 (Cyl # 1 misfire). I'll clear the code with the scanner, but the Check Light comes back the next day.

I can't hear any distiguishable misfire at idle or higher RPM.

I put new plug wires on when I did the engine swap, and I have since replaced plugs.

This was a self-install on the engine swap, so I first suspected that I'd need to re-torque the intake manifold bolts. So I opened the valve on a butane torch bottle and waved it around the intake to head junctions, but no change in RPM, so presumably no leaks.

has me stumped.

I can't hear any misfires. Does anyone know how many misfires / 1000 revolutions it takes to trip the 03xx code and Check Engine light?

also, there is a little valve noise when the engine is cold, but lessens when the engine has warmed. could shallow valve clearence (open) cause a misfire, and are there valve adjustments on a non-overhead cam engine?

Reply to
tim_denton

The freeze frame data should show the conditions under which the code was set, and the missfire monitor should show it as it occurs. If you have adequate spark and compression and no vacuum leaks, the next place to look would be whether the #1 injector is working properly. Multec injectors tend to stick if they're allowed to dry out, which no doubt happened during the engine swap.

Reply to
aarcuda69062