Odd (?) heater core problem '95 Grand Am

My brother in law now has what used to be my 1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE with the Quad Four.
The car is loosing massive amounts of coolant to an external leak. This
all started very suddenly. Ok, now where it's coming out.....
On the drivers side on the firewall there are two rubber hoses going in for the heater core. On the passenger side there is one all metal water outlet pipe coming out of the heater core. About an inch or so directly below the metal water oulet pipe on the passenger side firewall is a small rubber hose formed as an elbow pointing directly downward. (90 degree bend) It's total length can't be more than about 3 inches. It is also mush smaller diameter than the other hoses connected to the heater core. Maybe 3/8 inch. NOTHING is connected to it, and I see no possible connections at all. That small hose is where the coolant is coming out, only when the car gets near operating temp. There is no heat inside as well, an obvious outcome.
The car has in the neighborhood of 149,000 miles. No head gasket or head problems at all yet. (Thank goodness) Well maintained. The radiator hoses, upper and lower were both changed recently. 5 to 10 thousand miles ago. The water pump was replaced.... oh I guess about 3 years ago.
Any ideas on what that elbow is? If the core is plugged, or has air trapped in it?
TIA
Tony
That "elbow" is where the condenstion from your A/C evaperator drips out. If you have coolant coming out that hole, you probably need a new heater core.
Steve

Damn..... I was afraid of that. Never occured to me for that to be the condensate hose.
Thanks for the reply.
Tony
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Get one made of copper. Same cost as alum but lasts years longer.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

This is one of the easier heater cores to replace...