odormeter display weird on 99 Cavalier

Hi,
I have the weird problem with the odometer display: the total # of miles displays 3 numbers then switches to other two numbers, for example my car
has 59483 miles, it would display 5 blank 4 blank 3 then around 10-30 seconds, it would display 9 blank 8. It also does the same with trip odometer (same display) and after starting engine it displays weird characters before it display as I described above. Anyone has ideas? the number is correct only thing you have to read it twice.
Thanks
Hai
The "Odormeter".
I hope that this is a misspelling.
But come to think of it I had one of those on my 1977 Granada.
MIKE.....