OIL

The garage that changes my oil uses NAPA brand oil. The mechanic is pretty adamant about this, and insists its "good stuff".
I guess I think of it as "lowest bidder" repakaged oil.
Should I find another garage ?
I know that oil preference is as personal as beer brands. but I need an opinion;
I don't want to use a synthetic oil..... ( I still believe in the 3000 mile change )
I've heard many reccomendations for MOBIL brand oil.
Can anyone provide some facts ? Or are all oils pretty much the same.
<rj>

NAPA brand oil is just repackaged Valvoline motor oil.
Nothing wrong with it, no reason to not use it.
I 'BELIEVE' napa brand oil is actually made by valvoline, could be wrong tho....

I personally use a blend of diesel 10W30 and 15W40 in everything I drive. It's thick stuff, but guarantees almost no engine wear and has higher detergent quantities than most regular oils. What converted me was getting an 87 Colony Park through an Ontario emissions test, after its engine had seized because the owner drove it without coolant or oil for over a month, with a single digit hydrocarbon reading. It can maintain oil pressure with almost nothing in the crankcase.
I still change about every 5000kms.

drive.
getting
had
month,
Except that I'm not selling anything, and it seems to work. The reasoning is this: Ever notice how diesel oil always seems to cost $2-3 more than premium synthetic in 4L jugs? Ever looked at what a harsh environment a diesel combustion chamber is, in comparison with a gas one? Since diesel oil does the same thing as "regular" oil, ever wonder what they're putting into it to justify the extra expense? Maybe you should do some *actual research* (I know, it involves reading - such a drag) before you go around screaming "Fraud!". As with all things though, caveat emptor.
Ironically, I was set on to this in the Cadillac newsgroup a few years ago.

Did I say insufficient oil anywhere? I said "It can maintain oil pressure with almost nothing in the crankcase" which does not specify a quantity, sufficient or insufficient. I'll do that now: Approximately 2-2.5L, half of what it's supposed to hold.
If you have anything constructive to say, remember to remove the boot from your mouth before you try to talk.
PS. The wagon's still on the road, and up to straight SAE 50 dumptruck oil - fun to start in the winter, I imagine.

of
That's quite a change.... from "almost nothing" to half full. You'd make a good car salesman....if all your customers were fool enough to take you at face value.

I don't know where you buy your oil, but around here premium synthetic is double the cost of mineral based diesel oil. Shell Rotella T is a good example. A quick search on the web shows Mobil 1 at $19.80 a gallon and Rotella T at $11.99 a gallon. This *should* help to show you how full of crap you really are.
Ever looked at what a harsh environment a diesel

Yes, I've been working on them for more than 30 years. But since the oil hopefully doesn't get into the combustion chamber, I don't see how that furthers your argument.

Since you consider a half full crankcase "almost nothing", can I assume the owner only drove it a block or two during that month?

ago.
If you're ever in the market for some ocean front property, let me know.
Dave (SE Iowa)

No offense, but where I come from, half full IS almost nothing when we're talking about engine oil. What do you do when you see the oil light come on? Drive another 30,000kms?You'd generate a lot of business fixing people's cars if you told them to drive half empty everywhere. What's the next plan? Fill 'er up with sand?

I'll give you a hint, Einstein: Ping! Or lack thereof.
The fact that you've been allowed to work on cars for as long as 30 years astounds me. You sound like a real butcher. And oil DOES get into the combustion chamber when an engine's got a bit of wear (the infamous blue cloud on startup) or has damaged cylinder walls/piston rings, like the Colony Park, from seizing.

at
No offense taken, but where I come from, half full is half full. Or half empty, whichever you prefer. To say that it had almost no oil in it would be a gross exaggeration bordering on a lie. Just like your statement about the vehicle being driven more than a month with NO oil and NO water. You are either very gullible, or a liar.
What do you do when you see the oil light come on?

Where did I say it was ok to run an engine half full of oil? I only pointed out the distinction between "almost nothing" and half full.
What's the next plan?

I'm finding it difficult getting down to your intellectual level. You're going to have to spell it out for me.

You really should work on your reading and comprehension skills. I didn't say that I worked on cars....or trucks, for that matter.
You sound like a real butcher. And oil DOES get into the

And your point is.............???

be
the
And quite frankly, no offense meant, but why the fuck are you going on about this anyway? You certainly aren't going to browbeat me into changing my thinking. I was sharing a personal experience, and you took it as a commercial like those turbine things that you put into an air cleaner for better fuel economy. As I said, I'm not selling anything, and you're only interested in being a troll. What point are you arguing right now? Whether half empty is almost nothing, without any context at all. You might be happier here: alt.philosophy.objectivism

pointed
Context is everything, genius. In the case of a glass of water, I agree, but in the case of a car, get a clue. The oil light has been on for awhile in a car half full.

That's because you're looking in the wrong direction. Try looking up, and checking out some basic chemistry, like specific gravities of substances, surface tension, bonding, behavior of basic organic molecules, like detergents, and other fun stuff. You know, that applied science stuff that you didn't take when you didn't go to University.

I'm not going to even bother with a mouth-breathing simian like you. This discussion is over.

I have always used the cheapest name brand or store brand stuff I can find. All of my vehicles (>10) have gone at least 250,000 miles before trade in, still running strong but bodies developing cracks. Never had an oil burner. Never had a bad engine.
NAPA oil = Valvoline NAPA oil and air filters = Wix NAPA Batteries = Exide
--
Steve W.

"<RJ>" < snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com> wrote in message
Almost 275,000 miles using regular OL' Castrol or Penzoil 10 w 30 every 3000. Sometimes in the winter I may use 5 w 30 if its going to be under 30 degrees.
As of December 2002 the car has had 75 oil changes. I got to add up 2003 total next month.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,304 miles_~_~_