OIL.....again

Page 1 of 2
So, what's the final consensus on oil-changes?
For years, I've followed the "3 months or 3000 miles" rule.
Now, my GM owners manual says;
"Wait 'til the "Change Oil" light comes on".
At 5000 miles, I got nervous, and changed the oil, but it still looked clean and clear.
????
( I wonder if GM is the only maker with a Change Oil light )
<rj>

New vehicles come with synthetic oil. I'd continue to change the oil-filter at 3K intervals, no matter what. Use a good brand filter (Wix or Puralator) not Fram. When the oil-change light illuminates, then change the oil and filter when the 3K mileage is reached from the last filter change. Syn oil is far superior to dino-oil in all aspects.
Dave S(Texas)

Often claimed, but not necessarily proven, I think.

Yes, proven.

I used to fly RC model airplanes back in the 70's. I mixed my own fuel and had access to some synthetic oils. We could easily get a few thousand more RPM and you could lean that sucker out and never overheat it. I don't recall the detail except that it was very expensive. Convinced me.

Show me hard data. Your saying it doesn't make it so.

Would you believe it if you read it either? For one thing, just look at the pour points, flash points etc. Synthetics completely stomp the dino stuff. What, are you now going to tell us that pour points and viscosity stability don't mean much, or that the tests are all lies? Those who live in climates where the temps get very cold benefit from synthetic, as do those who operate in very hot areas.

I wouldn't argue with the data but I would question the necessity of those improved qualities. If dino oil was failing owners then I'd find it easier to warm to synthetics. But... dino has been doing a great job for decades and it has only gotten better over the past 10 years. Extreme cold might well be a good environment for synthetics, as well as extreme hot, but for most of us in the continental US, dino has done a very good job.
I would - in fact, I was going to switch all of our cars to synthetic. I discovered that the same problems that existed when synthetics came out, still exist today. It makes sense... for older engines (let's say mileage over ~30,000mi), synthetics will wash deposits out of the engine and cause problems as minor as leaks, or as catastrophic as component failure resultant from grit washed into bearing surfaces. Too many incidents of failures when motors were switched over to make me comfortable.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Pour points, flash points dont mean shit with respect to the superiority of an oil. Nice numbers, no intrinsic value.
Synthetics completely stomp the

Bullshit stomps chickenshit...

I have lived in climates that would challenge all systems. In one of my cars, I used dino oils, in the other synthetic. I did it because those oils were specified. Neither car ever gave premature wear problems. In fact the dino serviced car was near 200,000 miles when I sold it.
The synthetic serviced car 'seeped' from day one. I never had any real problems with it either, but sold it when it had about 30,000 miles on it. The EU inspection demanded that the slight leak be monitored and checked with every service.
Both oils were adequate. Pour point, flash point, meant NOTHING. Still doesn't ... You can ruminate with numbers but the real proof of the pudding is--does the car start, run, last, and give good gas mileate... I have seen NO advantage - even at subzero temperatures - of synthetics at this point..
You buy what you want, but your claims of across the board superiority are bullisht.

Your hillbilly test fleet of two vehicles means more to you than proven science. At least it's plain to see where you're coming from. People like you just make me shake my head in disbelief.
Very few new cars/trucks come with syntheitc, some Benz's, Corvette, some VW's and so, on 90% of new vehicles are dino.

-

I dont doubt that synthetics are good, but a lot of people have it in their mind that they are light years ahead of the petroleum oils.
This has not been proven unequivocally. Modern dino oils are said to be competitive with synthetics and at a much lower price
Anyone who tries to push an oil change to 10-15,000 miles or more- synthetic or not --is an idiot in my book.

Your money, your choice, but a terrible waste of money. BTW, very few new vehicles come with synthetic, just some high priced and high performance. Aside from some very severe conditions, there is no reason to change at 3000 miles. Oh, just one. So the Quickie Lube place can make a lot of money.

Just a thought. Years ago before there were any speedy oil change places around, the usual change for oil and filter was every 5K. After these oil change places showed up it became every 3K.
Roy
And the oil is said to better then it was years ago.

Tim wrote:

You'all must by young guys. I remember when the 51 Hudson book recomended 2K it seem too long after yeaers of 1K or once a month. Of course we quit doubting when that engine ran 140,000 with only 1 qt per 2k miles usage.
Bill (an old shafe tree mechanic)

IIrc the hudson didn't have a oil filter.
Tim,
It is, but with the higher temperatures, more precise bearing clearances and all the other factors involved in modern engines, the oil is under much more stress than it used to be.
I hate to say this, but I can remember when the recommended oil change interval was 1000 miles.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Our new Civic has an oil life meter and a maintenance minder thingy. When service is due it pops up with a code, like A1 is change oil and rotate tires, or A2 is change this and check that, etc, etc. There is no schedule even listed in the owners manual.
Steve

Depends on how you drive. I change every 7500 miles and with 113k, no use of oil between changes. My Regal gets changed once a year now, but was about 5k to 6k in the past and with 148k does not use any oil between changes. Runs as good as the day I bought it in '91.
The Quickie Lube joints would have you believe you should be there every week or two, but they make money from you. Since you probably work hard to earn the money, don't waste it.