Oil Change

I recently did an oil change on a '93 Buick Century. I used a 5W/ 30 oil. After I was finished putting the oil in, I read on the cap " use

10W/30". Is it a problem if I use a lighter weight? Thanks.
Reply to
Firebat5000

Shep

Probably not a good idea in Texas in the summer time in a high mileage engine. You may be leaking and burning more than usual. In Michigan I would not worry about it.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Both are 30 weight at the high temperature range. The viscosity when cold is where the difference is.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yes. Everything I've read for the last 40 years says you are correct. But it sure seems like oil pours a lot easier at 200F then at 40F. Below 40F I don't know. I don't go outside on that day.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

My 2003 Monte says the same thing, owners manual says 5w-30 or 10w-30, the

5 is better for REAL cold...

Reply to
Ript

Not exactally. 5w30 thins out quicker as temps increase because it has more VI in it than 10w30 does. 10w30 is a better choice for hot weather with straight 30 being the best in summer if you live where it gets to 100 a lot in summer.

Reply to
SnoMan