Oil Change

I recently did an oil change on a '93 Buick Century. I used a 5W/ 30 oil. After I was finished putting the oil in, I read on the cap " use 10W/30". Is it a problem if I use a lighter weight? Thanks.

Add pictures here
āœ–
Actually the 5/30 will work better as the weather gets colder, you will not hurt the engine for 1 oil change, may be slightly higher oil consumption.

-
Add pictures here
āœ–
Firebat5000 wrote:

Probably not a good idea in Texas in the summer time in a high mileage engine. You may be leaking and burning more than usual. In Michigan I would not worry about it.
Add pictures here
āœ–
"« Paul »" <"=?x-user-defined?Q?«?= Paul

Both are 30 weight at the high temperature range. The viscosity when cold is where the difference is.
Add pictures here
āœ–
James C. Reeves wrote:

Yes. Everything I've read for the last 40 years says you are correct. But it sure seems like oil pours a lot easier at 200F then at 40F. Below 40F I don't know. I don't go outside on that day.
Add pictures here
āœ–
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Not exactally. 5w30 thins out quicker as temps increase because it has more VI in it than 10w30 does. 10w30 is a better choice for hot weather with straight 30 being the best in summer if you live where it gets to 100 a lot in summer.
āœ–
My 2003 Monte says the same thing, owners manual says 5w-30 or 10w-30, the 5 is better for REAL cold...

--
1984 RZ350

Add pictures here
āœ–