Oil change questions

I just got me a newer truck, and I'm thinking I want to do the oil changes myself. I now have a 2000 S-10 ZR2, meaning I have skid plates. I know where the oil filter is, and don't think that'll be a problem for R&R. How is the pan drain? I didn't crawl underneath it yet, at least enough to see the oil pan drain.

Grease fittings, are these the same as on my 94 Jimmy? 1 for each ball joint (4), 1 at each joint in the steering, with an extra on the idler arm (count 5 here), and I know there should be 2 more, or are there 7 on the steering system? I know there are 11. Do you all just use spray white lithium grease for lubing door hinges, hood latch, door latches, etc?

Reply to
Mike Levy

"Mike Levy" wrote

You will find the drain plug right at the rear of the oil pan. The skid plates wont interfere with you being able to reach the drain plug

Grease fittings are probably the same as your 94. The only difference that I've seen is that the inner tie rod fittings are straight and you cannot get at them with a regular grease gun end. You need a

90 degree fitting for those two zerks. It's stupid and I would be tempted to unscrew the factory ones and install 90 degree zerks at those locations.

Try and find something different then the white grease. I don't know the name of the stuff we use, but it sprays on in a liquid form and then turns to a grease in a few minutes. This is helpful when you want to actually have the grease "inside" the different hinges and joints.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks. I never actually did a lube on the 94, always had a place do it for me. Changing my ways with this one, trying to keep costs down. Also considering one of those valves that screws into the drain plug hole, so all I have to do is hook up the little hose and flip the lever to drain the oil.

Reply to
Mike Levy

My owners manual says to use engine oil on hinges and hood locks.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,068 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I use Fluid Film. It is a little expensive, but it is an excellent spray lubricant.

As far as the auto drain system, I would personally steer clear. It's not hard to go under there and unscrew one plug to drain oil, but is the most "secure" way of holding in your oil. I can think of nothing worse than flying down the highway to have your low oil press. light come on because the valve failed.

Reply to
Chevguy