Oil Dipstick

I just did an oil change on my 96 Buick Regal w/3800. When I pulled the stick I noticed the plastic stem, with the o-ring, had seperated from the pull ring and was still in the tube. Got it out easy enough, but wonder if it is all that necessary. I figure the o-ring is for blow-by prevention. Do I get a new stick, or forget about it? Thanks.

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:44:21 -0700 (PDT), dplayer
When I pulled the stick I noticed the plastic stem, with the o-ring, had separated from the pull ring and was still in the tube. Got it out easy enough, but wonder if it is all that necessary. I figure the o-ring is for blow-by prevention. Do I get a new stick, or forget about it? Thanks.
I'd forget about it. Probably part of the pollution setup to eliminate blow by. If you got one from a junk yard for $2, then OK, but if you got it from a Buick dealer, they probably want more than the car is worth.