Oil in Air Filter Housing

I got a surprise today when I changed my air filter. The "air filter housing assembly" was full of oil! How could that possibly happen?

PCV valve not functioning correctly is the most likely cause. A worn shortblock (excessive blowby pressurizing crankcase) can force oil back into the filter housing as well. Suggest clean/verify or replace as necessary PCV valve as first measure. Mark
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:03:12 -0700, Art wrote:

--
remove 'spamsucks' from mail addy for replies.
I fart in Darl McBride's general direction.