Oil Leak

Hi,
Two days ago I was driving ( 2001 Pontiac Sunfire ) and I noticed my car battery light come on, I immediately suspected that my alternator belt must have snapped during some point. I pulled over and popped the
hood open, my engine overheated as there was smoke coming from it. I looked at the alternator and confirmed that the belt actually did snap. Luckily, there was a GM dealership down the road so I waited half an hour and I was able to drive it into the dealership.
They replaced the belt and I drove the car home. After a full day of use I now notice 2 little pools of oil beneath the car, the oil is actually on the passenger side. My vehicle was driving fine all day, I was even on the freeway for about 1 hour. Any ideas where this oil could be coming from? Considering the situation, what would most likely be the cause?
Thanks,
"carrajo" wrote

It's going to be a lot easier for you to figure out where the oil is leaking from then us. But, I can make some educated guesses. Front timing cover seal, oil filter, ps pump shaft seal, ps pressure hose. All of these items could leak on the passenger side.
Ian

A quick look and nope, it wasn't the oil filter. My mechanic shampooed my engine ( got it nice and clean ) and then added some dye into the oil. He drove it around for 20 minutes and when he lifted it, oil was everywhere again. He shined a light on the dye and the fluorescent light tracked the leak back to the "front crank shaft seal". It was a pretty bad leak as oil was dribbling out rather quick.
I thought the overheated engine may have caused this but he said "no", he said the leak could have always been there and the seal finally just gave out. I should have asked him if it's possible that oil was getting onto the alternator belt which caused it to snap.
Thank for your educated guesses, they were actually very helpful. I actually asked him to check all the areas you mentioned.
The engine cleaning probably revealed the leak. There was probably a lot of grime build up around the Crankshaft seal that is literally held back the oil. Once it was removed, It sprung a leak like you mentioned.
"carrajo" wrote: > On Mar 25, 9:50 pm, "shiden_kai"