Oil life indicator

Page 2 of 2
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

The biggest rip off of the oil companies and sellers is the 3000 mile oil change. I've never had an engine failure by following the manufacturer's recommendation, usually 7500 miles. In your case, driving mostly highway miles in normal temperatures, the oil life can easily go much more.
The long running of your engine keeps the excessive moisture out, good filtration and moderate speeds makes for long oil and long engine life. GM spent a lot of money to develop the indicator. Use it.

I'm driving a 2007 Cobalt with the four cylinder engine, auto. Its never had anything but synthetic Mobil 1 High Endurance oil in it, and I drive 82 highway miles everyday, 5 days a week. I put about 24,000 miles a year on a car. The only time during those trips that my speed is below 60 mph is the last mile between the four lane and work. City driving is rare, and its a 10 mile hiway drive to my local tiny town anyway. This oil change has 11,000 miles on it, and the oil life indicator says I have 10% left. The oil is good for 15,000 miles, according to Mobil. If I remember correctly, my owners manual says to use a synthetic oil, 5w30. Bottom line, IMHO, switch to a better grade of oil, if you're going to go by the indicator. If you stay with dino oil, ignore the indicator and change it every 5000 miles. And remember, the oil change people make their money off your regular oil changes, so their advice may be suspect. PS..I love my 34 mpg Cobalt! Wish it came in a Maxx version. YMMV
Klaatu

How often does GM say you should change your oil? They warranty your car.