Oil Life Monitor

2000 Buick Century.

Does the Oil Change Light come on and STAY on when the engine is running, or does it go out after a few seconds after start up when the oil needs changing.

I would think the light should stay on as long as the engine is running and the oil needs changing. The manual says the light will come on, but it's not saying it will stay on.

What sort of mileage are people seeing with the Oil Life Monitor?

Thanks

Reply to
anon

Generally the light comes on around 4,000 miles. If you hit that mileage or if the sensor detects the oil needs changing (depending on the type of system), the light should come on and stay on until you change the oil and manually reset the system. Check your owner's manual for how to reset the system. There are a few different ways to reset it, depending on the car.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The instrument panel warning lights and gages should light or operate full range when you start the car and then go out or go to normal. This is to allow you to see that indicators are working. So Oil Change light should come on and then go off when you first start the car.

Wayne

Reply to
why, me
2000 Buick Century. Does the Oil Change Light come on and STAY on when the engine is running, or does it go out after a few seconds after start up when the oil needs changing. I would think the light should stay on as long as the engine is running and the oil needs changing. The manual says the light will come on, but it's not saying it will stay on. What sort of mileage are people seeing with the Oil Life Monitor? Thanks The instrument panel warning lights and gages should light or operate full range when you start the car and then go out or go to normal. This is to allow you to see that indicators are working. So Oil Change light should come on and then go off when you first start the car. Wayne

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The oil life monitor uses several parameters to 'estimate' when the oil needs changed. When it determines that a change is needed, the light will come on at startup and remain on for several minutes before going out. Most GM vehicles can be reset by turning on the ignition (do not start the engine) and pressing the accelerator pedal quickly to the floor three times in 5 (?) seconds or reseting it through the radio controls. I hope this helps. . . .

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

Start engine - Lights on dash should all come on to indicate they work. Then they go off.

If any of them stay on OR come on real quick then there may be a problem.

Oil life depends on the sensor and the computer. 4000-5000 seems to be what most see.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Mike.

I do know how to reset the system. I've never had the light come on and stay on. I do understand about the bulb check. I"ve done 3 oil changes and the light has never come on and stayed on with the engine running. Looking through the manual, in one section it does say the light will stay on and in another section they don't mention it staying on constantly. As it is, after the car starts the light goes off after a few seconds. I just wanted to make sure that it stays on when an oil change is needed. I drive mostly hwy and the light has not come on and stayed on in

16,000kms.(10,000 miles)
Reply to
anon

Not sure about the 2000 buton my 2003, the Change Engine Oil light comes on at 2800 miles or so after the last reset. It comes on when the car is started and stays on for a minute or two. For reminder lights like this, I believe the manufacturers have them go off after a short time soyou are not distracted while driving, and so you don't overlook a Service Engine light that could come on if you have an immediate problem. These

2 are right next to each other in the 2003, so it would be easy to miss the Service light for a little while, I guess.
Reply to
Rugburn