Oil pressure light Buick

Got the 96 Buick P/A, 3.8L engine. The oil pressure light comes on at startup when cold and stays on for about half mile. After 10 minutes it comes on again an d sometimes flickers on and off. Sometimes goes off when revved but coasting stays on alot. You can only rev it so much when driving in the city! Is it a sensor, the filter or wiring? Give specific direction on the location of the sensor as I don't work on this car very often. Just finished a 4 hr. serpentine belt job

Reply to
Ken and Janet

Anytime an oil pressure light or gage indicates a problem, the first course of action is to install a mechanical pressure gage in place of the sending unit (or sensor) near the oil filter and see what it says.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Ken and Janet wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Oil Pressure or Oil Level?

My daughter's Cavalier has an Oil Level light that comes on if the oil level in the oil pan is over a quart low, it stays on for only a few minutes then goes off as oil starts returning to the pan. I would be extremely concerned anytime an Oil Pressure light came on. I would park the car until the problem was resolved.

Reply to
Jeff & Carol