oil pressure problem

I have a 99 S10 2.2l and changed my oil and now my oil pressure gage reads vary high when started almost to 80 psi and once I have let it worm up it goes to 60 psi and idles at 40 psi is this to high of oil pressure at start up I have changed to 10w 30 from 5w 30 with only

85000 miles on my truck

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Andy

5W30 (or 5W20) is recommended for about all new vehicles today. Going to a higher viscosity on the low side causes higher startup pressures and is hard on seals, gaskets, and will delay upper cylinder lubrication (engines have smaller oil passages than in days of old. Anyway, most vehicles have oil pressure relief valves that divert excessive oil pressure, so the engine won't have a "stroke".
Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke