Oil Pump

I have a 91 Astro Van with 3300000 km on the engine and in the last couple of days the oil pressure gauge dropped from 40psi to about 20psi. The engine
doesn't make any knocking or pinging noise. Could it be something wrong with the oil pressure switch or could the oil pump be starting to go is there any simple way of testing these two parts.
Mike
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 01:40:38 -0500, "Mike & Chris"

I'd change the sending unit first. They are cheap enough, cheaper than having a tech put a mechanical gauge on it, and it is the most likely source of the problem. You can go further with the diagnosis later if the replacement does not yield the desired result. If the reading persists at 20#, don't delay in diagnosis as a precipitous drop like that, if legitimate, is likely an indicator of a serious problem. How is the oil level?

3 million km, you must have one of the good ones.
Changed the oil pump after I changed the oil pump the gauge went up to 70-80 psi when the van is warming up and 50 psi when the van warms up. With the original pump it ran 50psi during warm up and 40psi when warmed up seems a little high.Could the high oil pressure cause a problem. Maybe the oil pressure switch is gone.

engine
with
any