Oil Pump

I have a 91 Astro Van with 3300000 km on the engine and in the last couple of days the oil pressure gauge dropped from 40psi to about 20psi. The engine doesn't make any knocking or pinging noise. Could it be something wrong with the oil pressure switch or could the oil pump be starting to go is there any simple way of testing these two parts.

Mike

Reply to
Mike & Chris

I'd change the sending unit first. They are cheap enough, cheaper than having a tech put a mechanical gauge on it, and it is the most likely source of the problem. You can go further with the diagnosis later if the replacement does not yield the desired result. If the reading persists at 20#, don't delay in diagnosis as a precipitous drop like that, if legitimate, is likely an indicator of a serious problem. How is the oil level?

Reply to
NickySantoro

3 million km, you must have one of the good ones.
Reply to
Scott

Reply to
Mike & Chris