old car identification needed

I have a photo of an old car that I would like to identify. The place where it is parked dates back to about the 1920's and 1930's in California.

The photo may be found at this web address:

Thanks

Apparently I will need a little help getting it to start.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Tom from San Carlos thinks that it is a 1938 Buick coupe.

Reply to
Robertwgross

Looks like a 36 Buick, possibly a Century. I say this after seeing the stamped bulge on the side of the hood with the little vent grille. The verticle bar grille also is similar to one pctured in a book I got.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,304 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face
37 chevy coupe I been looking for 1 for years worth restoring within reason on price.
Reply to
TONY 70000

OK. We are converging.

So far, the guesses are: (1) '38 Buick coupe (2) '36 Buick Century (3) '37 Chevy coupe (4) '35-'37 Chevy

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Bob, mine wasn't a guess. It was a well researched fact! ;-) Did you look at the picture that I posted? The picture that I posted was a '37 Chev Coupe and it matches the car in your link perfectly. Check a few of the '37& '38 Buicks on the attached link and you'll see why it's not a Buick. Click on the pictures to enlarge them and you'll see, as I originally posted, *wink, wink* that the Buick had horizontal bars in the grill. The Chev has the vertical bars, as well as the "arrow" design on the side of the hood. What more proof do you need? Tony's been looking for one and confirms that it's a '37 Chev. Here's the link to the Buicks:

Sting Ray

I haven't seen any posting from you on this topic, so I haven't seen any photo previously, whether '37 Chevy or anything else. I think that some of you guys have sharper eyes or can see details that I can't see in my original photo. However, 1937 Chevy... I can accept that. I haven't seen a photo of one except for my photo, and it was awfully rusty. Your link here is for Buicks.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Bob, I just reposted my original post which shows up in my browser, however, it just occurred to me that perhaps your NewsGroup service provider won't let you access posts with pictures attached. For this reason, I'll once again repost my original message, but instead of posting the picture of the '37 Chev, I'll post a link for you to access the picture. Here's another repost of my original message, as well as a link:

Robert, I just did a Buick search and the 1936-1938's all seemed to have horizontal bars in the grill, whereas the picture you posted has vertical bars. I do not think it's a Buick. I searched a number of makes and models and I'm attaching a picture of a 1937 Chevrolet Coupe. This is the only one I could find with that arrow shape on the side of the hood. I think this is your baby.

Sting Ray

Sting Ray, yes, that looks like a match to my eyes. Now I have to figure out how to break the news to the guys who guessed it was a Buick.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Well, if it's any consolation to the guy who thought it was a Buick, the Buicks and Chevs looked remarkably similar in body style. The main distinction appeared to be the direction of the grill bars and the arrow design on the sides of the Chevy hood. Glad to be of help Bob. These brain teasers are fun to check out.

Reply to
Sting Ray

Is this car sitting in Bodie, California?

Reply to
fast

Damn! You guys are good.

One guy figured out the location based on the structure roof in the background.

1937 Chevy coupe was the conclusion.

You guys want more? I've got more.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to