Olds AC -- Possible to upgrade to manual system?

Hi. As another victim of GM's automatic climate-out-of-control system in a 99 Olds Intrigue, I'm wondering whether it's possible and cost-effective to replace the original "auto" system with a usable manual one. Any experiences with this? Thanks in advance. DLW

Reply to
DLW

Whats wrong??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

The only reliable system is the really old style with cables. Look for a mid 70's car at the junkyard and pirate away. GW

DLW wrote:

(snip)

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Al, Thanks for your response. Despite the fact that I never liked how it operated from the time it was new, it worked okay. Lately, though, the MODE selector stopped having any effect of directing air flow. Based upon another poster's suggestion, I disconnected the battery and allowed the A/C controller to re-set, which seemed to help for awhile although it didn't restore complete functionality. Recently it seems to have become totally stuck; i.e., air flow *sounds* like it's rushing out the defroster vents regardless of MODE setting, and cold air blasts the driver's feet but the passenger gets too warm. I think this probably relates to a particular TSB. Dealer suggests running a diagnostic, and the parts cost alone to replace the controller (if needed) is $465. If I'm going to sink more $ into the car, I'd prefer to have a workable, reliable system when I'm done.

DLW

Reply to
DLW

Thanks, Geoff. Actually, my original brochure says the automatic system wasn't even available for the GX trim line when we bought our Intrigue GL, so I was assuming the manual system is available on later models. (In fact, it was installed in a 2003 Buick Regal we test-drove last year.) Even if I could find one, though, I'm wondering about how hard it is to retrofit it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DLW