Olds Intrigue power window

Olds Intrigue (1998) has a power window which has never worked since I've owned the car. It's the passenger side, back window, and it would never roll down. I always suspected nobody had ever tried to roll it
down and so after so many years it just stuck in the up position. I let someone else use the car and they SOMEHOW got the window to roll down -- and now it won't go up! Tried both switches. Sshe said she wasn't watching it when it went down (to see how fast it moved) and it didn't make any strange noises. Anyone know what the likely cause / remedy for the problem is? Anyone know what the likely cause of this is?

The likely cause is the crappy regulators most car makers use to control the windows. Could be an electrical problem with the switches too. Good chance you'll have to remove the door panel to access the window and manually put it up. In my Buick, I just removed the mechanism and propped the windows in place with pieces of wood sticks.
On my previous Regal, the one back window would go down from the driver's control, but only go up from the back seat control. God help you if you were alone and hit the button as was easy to do on that car.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:28:56 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

What he said about removing the door panel. I've replaced a few motor/regulator assemblies. A general PITA but not too bad. You'll probably have to drill out the rivets holding it in, then find right length bolts and lockwashers to replace if you don't rivet it back in. I never riveted them back in. Last I did was a driver side 95 Grand Am that had been broken into. Whoever replaced the glass bent a scissor lever and it got to flexing so much the window had to be manually assisted. Just before that a passenger front on my '97 Lumina where the motor was shot, luckily with the window closed. Check the motor with known juice after pulling the panel to make sure it's not a switch problem. I forget how the motor reverses. You might be able to turn the motor shaft gear manually to close the window. The motor was part of the regulator assembly on these so you buy the package. Think I paid about $70 on-line for the Grand Am and a bit over $100 at the dealer for the Lumina regulator. Try not to tear the door weatherproofing sheeting. The gum they use may no longer stick after you pull it off, so have some 3M adhesive handy and hope it's the last time you'll be in there.
--Vic
blowout preventer wrote:

Could be a bad motor, bad regulator, bad switches, or bad wiring. You will have to determine which.