olds intrigue stolen... does chip in key even work ?

So my ex-wifes 99 olds intrigue got stolen out of a garage. They must have hot wired it. Do these chip-in-key anti theft devices even work ? I recently witnessed a brand new model dodge truck getting stolen out of my works parking lot. It took them about 2 minutes before they raced it out of the lot. I imagine they also have the chip in key. what's the deal here ?

Reply to
RT

if you hotwire a car, how do you bypass steering lock? As far as i obbserve they are mechanical spring mechanisms?

In order to understand how they bypass the chip mechanism we should know more about how it works.

Reply to
uccoskun

It was shown on 60-Minutes (or similar) several years back how a big screwdriver, driven into switch mechanism, and twisted hard using a suitable wrench, will break the holding mechanism and allow switching on/off as well as turning steering wheel. We were junking a lot of cars along then, and my main mechanic tried it successfully in my presence, twice on quite dissimilar cars. Takes a high-quality driver or else the screwdriver will snap instead. As for chip in key lock: A properly-ohmed resistor (5 for 99-cents at Radio Shack!!!), wired to 2 wires (or to one wire and other end to ground?) will by-pass the VATS system used on GM--possibly others. Dunno how they get proper ohms needed for a particular car unless they had access to the key-resistor to check its resistance, sorry; hafta ask a thief, I guess. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Just happened on this solution: Enjoy, s

sdlomi2

very educating, now i donot need a high school diploma to have a career. ;)

Reply to
uccoskun