One nice thing about GM now

I was talking with a relative today, and it dawned on me that the most exciting thing about GM now is not the new product (HHR, etc) rolling out, but the simple fact that they're getting just a bit of their swagger back.
This employee pricing - it was a coup for GM. There are still few products they produce that I find myself desiring over their competition, but this is one of the few times in recent memory where GM has come out with something that once again **forced** the rest of the industry to respond to!
Good job GM and Lutz. Now just try to continue to 'swing for the fences' with world-class and class-leading automobiles and you'll do just fine! For example, the Malibu... I'm sure it's a good car, and lord knows is a huge step beyond the first version.... (same applies to the G6)... but there's no great reason or Unique Selling Proposition to get one of them over the Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda/Hyundai or even Ford products.
For a quick example... the Malibu is, um... "dowdy" doesn't do the car justice. Some of the recent products from chevy (malibu and Colorado) just look 'funny' (as I heard one poster say somewhere - the truck looks like the front end was installed upside down).
Now, take the new Ford Fusion coming out. Good, classy styling and a good, classy interior with (from what I've read so far) very good driving dynamics.
Yep, I'm seriously considering a Fusion, Altima or Mazda6... .the Malibu might be a great car, and mercy knows I want to support Lutz -- but there's just no reason (financial, quality, etc) to go with the GM product when excellence is to be found elsewhere.
Welcome to America. Go buy one and save the GM's for someone who will appreciate them. Fat and ugly cars need love too!
Eightupman

And which of the cars I mentioned are "fat and ugly..", if not the Malibu?
Of course you recognize styling is subjective, right?

Styling may be subjective, but 'fat and fruity' doesnt get it.

Again, what vehicle are you talking about.
"" wrote:
> [...]
I remember when trucks had real bumpers and did not have a plastic one that can be damaged by a twig or a snow piles. Most GM "trucks"/SUVs are more car now than truck.

All in the effort to save weight and to improve the area at the front and rear of the vehicle for 'crushing' in an accident.
And, let's be fair, it's not just GM car... um, TRUCKS that are guilty of this.
"Jon Patrick" wrote:

It is not about crushing on impact, it is all about cost and styling. They can stamp out a plastic bumper for a truck a lot easier and cheaper than a real chrome one. THey are all guilty but GM is leading the pack in this area in cheapness. My old style 2000 K3500 was the last year they had full real chrome bumbers that I did not have to cut or remove to put snow plow mounts on. That is what trucks used to be anyway.
snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com says...

Do you mean when you could push/pull a smashed car onto or off the road (with a chain if needed), just using the big steel girder and effective mounting points on the rail chassis?
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz

Most of the high midline autos look like a turd with wheels. Not just GM.
"Eightupman" wrote:

I agree, somebody needs to love them because GM has been building some losers lately and needs to refocus its efforts off of SUVs and on to making better roomier cars that are more fuel efficent than the ugly SUVs they are pushing.

Don't hold your breath on this one. I just read in AutoBeat Daily last week that GM's strategy is to continue pushing large SUVs and pickup trucks. Improving their sedans was not even mentioned. This shocked me when you consider today's gas prices. Oh well, maybe they know what they're doing in this respect.
Ron M.

I don't see anything alarming in this. The cobalt, malibu, impala are all revised, as is the corvette and the brand-new HHR. Same with buick and pontiac, they've either received their new cars or they are on their way to dealers now. It's their trucks and suv's that are in need of makeovers now. J

products
just
good,
there's
I'll agree, the new Malibu is a dog. I like the upsidedown Colorado front end though, they don't blind the crap out of me when they are on the other side of the intersection, the headlamps are lower.