Ongoing refinement of the 3100/3400 intake gasket

Just had to replace a 3400 engine in a 2004 Venture van. While doing so, we noticed that the intake gasket is a new part number and design. Here are some pictures
that kind of highlight the differences for those that are interested in the whole intake gasket fiasco.
First, here is a picture of the old gasket side by side with the "improved" gasket that came out sometime last year.
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/intake%20 (1).JPG
Main difference is the two metal pellets in the gasket to allow for greater torque on the gasket without deforming it.
Here is a closer view of the "improved" gasket at the water port section. Note how the imbedded rubber gasket is a single piece design around the port.
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/intake%20 (2).JPG
Now, here is a picture of the 2004 design gasket. You can see that it has one imbedded rubber gasket that goes around the inside section of the water port, and then a completely separate stand alone imbedded gasket that goes around the water port. I like this, don't know how good it will work, but it appears that they are trying to keep the coolant from leaking to the inside of the engine. Even if the gasket around the port fails, the other gasket should keep the coolant from leaking inward.
Oh yeah, the intake ports are a spiffy green color now. Probably simply to aid in identification.
Ian

http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/DSC02358.JPG
shiden_Kai wrote:

That's pretty good Ian. Have you ever considered teaching auto tech?
Paul wrote:

Yes, just don't think I could handle the pay cut!
Ian
On Mon, 24 May 2004 02:57:05 GMT, "shiden_Kai"
Where? :)
Brad Clarke

I thought I sent a second "corrected" post? Did you not see that one?
Ian
On Tue, 25 May 2004 00:19:17 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

It didn't show up on the news server I use, but then again my ISPs news server is not exactly the best in the world.

It eventually showed up.
Brad Clarke wrote:

http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/DSC02358.JPG
Wow, how many times has GM tried to fix this problem?
I just had the intake repair done two months ago on our '02 Silhoette. I wonder if it got the new-new gasket design ???
John