Onstar

Page 2 of 2
80 Knight wrote:

Hi...
New to the thread, and I apologize if it's already been suggested, but there's a way out for GM that would allow them to keep their current users happy, I think.
How about if they offered to replace the current analog units with new digital ones free of charge for those existing cars in which they are actually used, in return for a three or perhaps five year contract?
Essentially the same thing as the cell phone folks do when they "give" us a phone in return for a contract.
Just my 2 cents.
Take care.
Ken

Depends on the cost of the update, or if possible at all. Would you take a five year contract (minimum of $1000) if your car is already five or more years old? GM would rather you buy a new car. That is their suggested resolution for most every problem. That is where they (should be) making the profits.

Thanks for your post, Ken. I suspect there are relatively few vehicles involved, and retrofitting would probably not be a good deal for GM, the client, nor any aftermarket supplier.
I haven't done the mathematics, but GM would lose, and the client wouldnt really gain that much either, except in a minority of cases. This is the sort of think that really irks a relatively small number of GM customers, not without cause mind you, but leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.
At this point, GM needs all the good will it can muster. They have a long road to hoe, even though their truck sales looked promising, etc.

I think that would depend on how much it would cost to upgrade the unit.
80 Knight wrote:

Onstar is just a cellphone connected to a GPS location receiver. If GM is spending more than $75 to build the electronics box for it then they don't know a thing about modern electronics manufacturing. For example, in 2002 the price for a GPS integrated receiver IC was $3.50:
http://www.mwrf.com/Articles/ArticleID/5528/5528.html
Obviously it takes more than one IC to build the required electronics, but it still is a way less than $75 box.
Ken Weitzel wrote:

A very reasonable idea which GM has chosen not to go with. The bottom line is that GM remains a customer antagonizing company, not a customer relationship building company.
80 Knight wrote:

You don't have to "buy" a new phone, just sign up for a 1-2 year cell phone contract and they will give you one. Even if you did need to buy a new phone, it wouldn't cost the $15-45k purchase price of a new vehicle.
We have and 04 Suburban. Is this a digital or analog system. Thanks
Warren
warrenry wrote:

service (so I've been told).