onstar handset replacement

My handset has shorted out, i picked a used one up but need to know haow to program the new handset i have access to a shop with computers so would like to do it myself?

Reply to
scott

Bobo

It is a 1997 deville with a hughes m6100 cell phone/onstar system. i do not know if the handset is plug and play or not, i am having problems getting any information about the system whatsoever. it is possible that the replacement handset i purchased is defective.

tia scott

Reply to
scott

The handset probably has a different ESN number than the original. It is used by the carrier to identify the cell phone. You will probably have to get the carrier to change the ESN in their system...

Reply to
BillW

I have learned that the handset replacement is in fact a plug and play, requiring no programming. As far as programming the hughes m6100 there as a good sight at caddyinfo.com and onstar has a page foor programming. The only other hurdle i ran into getting the hughes m6100 programmed was the security code from previous owner.....I called onstar, spoke directly with tech support and they CAN bypass the security code. the bypass code is based on the nam programmed into the system, using this new backdoor, you can reset the security code back to default 000000 or any number you want. BE persistant it took 6-8 weeks and probably 10 calls to get onstar tech support to help.

Reply to
scott